Cream of wheat in mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgutwin

Reaction score
So I've been interested in making a wheat beer for a little while... a while ago I had a nice bottle-conditioned wheat beer and I saved the yeast at the bottom. I decided this weekend that I was going to try to revive that yeast which had been sitting in the bottle for a couple of months. Now that the yeast starter has kicked off I realized that I'm going to have to brew pretty soon! :cross: Unfortunately I don't have any wheat malt and don't have time to go back to my LHBS this week. I was trying to think about what might substitute for wheat malt and I realized I have plenty of Cream of Wheat in the cupboard...

Does anybody know if cream of wheat can be mashed? Does it need a cereal mash or can I just add it directly? Any experience is helpful.

Also for comments, here is my working recipe (mostly leftover ingredients, if it seems a little weird) for 2 gallons:

Grains
0.13 pounds British Torrified Wheat 3.7% of grist
2.00 pounds American Pale Malt (2-Row) 59.3% of grist
0.25 pounds Belgian Biscuit Malt 7.4% of grist
0.50 pounds Flaked Oats 14.8% of grist
0.50 pounds Cream of Wheat 14.8% of grist
3.38 pounds Total Grain Weight 100% of grist

Hops
0.50 ounces Kent Golding 4.25% @ 45 minutes 2.1 AAUs

It might work, but you should be able to find flaked wheat in the bulk bins at a local food co-op, health food store, organic market, whole foods etc... Flaked wheat can be added straight to the mash, no issue. You could also just use more torified wheat, which is gelatinized as well.

Good luck.

I have made several batches of Cream of Wheat beer.
My recipe is 5 lbs Pale 2-row malt and 3 lbs Cream of Wheat cereal (1.5 boxes approx).
Each batch was very good...but... There is a ton of Calcium Carbonate in Cream of wheat.
The mash pH settles in at 6.5... not where we want it. The first time I made it, my pH meter hadn't been calibrated because of a long time hiatus from beer making. So, I thought 6.5 reading was wrong.
It took 90 minutes to complete conversion at that pH (believe it or not).
My next batch, I recalibrated the pH meter... and had to add nearly 10 ml of Lactic Acid (I know that's a lot) to get the pH to 5.4 .
But still, everyone raves about the beer, I just made another batch last week...

Latest posts

Back