Fermentation Stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyfan964

Reaction score
I currently have an amber in primary. It has stalled out at 1.018 with an OG of 1.042. I was shooting for around a 1.012, but it doesn't seem like its going to get there, I tried swirling the carboy to get a little more out of the yeast, but I think it's spent. Any problem with bottle conditioning a beer in the 1.018-1.02 range?

Well, I would definitely not bottle it until you are absolutely sure is done fermenting. At somewhere around 50% attenuation, I would say the yeast should have gotten more done.

Is this extract or All-Grain?

If Extract: What brand of extract did you use

If All-Grain: What temperatures did you mash at?

Well, I would definitely not bottle it until you are absolutely sure is done fermenting. At somewhere around 50% attenuation, I would say the yeast should have gotten more done.

Is this extract or All-Grain?

If Extract: What brand of extract did you use

If All-Grain: What temperatures did you mash at?

It's just a simple all malt extract kit from True Brew. It's made with muntons malt. It fermented heavily for the first two days, but slowed afterwards. It has been in primary for about 10 days now... No movement of the airlock for the past 2 days to my knowledge. I was just looking to make a simple amber that I am going to add some apricot flavoring to prior to conditioning.... slightly disappointed in the yeast given with the kit. I think it was just a basic dry amber ale yeast.

Hmmm...that all seems up to snuff. I ask about the brand because there is a brand of extract, I forget the name right now, that is notorious for 50-60% attenuation. It's not Munson's though. How many readings did you take to determine it was stuck?

Crap yeast? Buy a good yeast if you are going to use kits.
Old extract?
Who knows.
Hydrometer reading correct? Check with distilled water?

What temp did you ferment at? Maybe you need to put it into a warm room for awhile to get it going.

Whats it taste like? That is important along with several days of the same Hydro reading.

Since you already tried rousing, the simplest, easiest, and cheapest next step would be to just pitch a new packet of the dry yeast that you originally used.

It tastes great actually. Tested it 3 days in a row. Stuck at 1.018 every time. It's actually been fermenting a little high since I was actually going for a little ester action possibly since it's going to be an Apricot Amber. It's been fermenting around 74 degrees. It fermented like crazy for about 2 days. It also began fermenting about 3 hours after pitching the yeast. It had a great krausen and everything. It's just done. Should I really bother re-pitching another yeast or just go with what I got?

Back