Over 3 weeks and still fermenting...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spbrewer

Reaction score
Hi, maybe someone can help answer my question. I was trying to make Hoegaarden clone by following Papazian recipie. Probably I did something wrong (this is only my second batch) but its been fermenting for 3 and half week and still bubbling. Although I can see its winding down.
Original gravity was at 1.067 and now its at 1.011.
The beer smells great but has very storng alcohol taste. Do you think its normal to fermet for over 3 weeks ? And is there any way to still save this beer ? Maybe age it for a few months ?

Don't let a strong alcohol taste turn you off. You've still need to carb it up and age it for a few weeks or so. My advice is wait for the gravity to level off (sounds like it's close) and bottle it. The slower ferment time could be attributed to a number of thing, but at 3 1/2 weeks you don't need to worry.

Don't let a strong alcohol taste turn you off. You've still need to carb it up and age it for a few weeks or so. My advice is wait for the gravity to level off (sounds like it's close) and bottle it. The slower ferment time could be attributed to a number of thing, but at 3 1/2 weeks you don't need to worry.

Agreed. I don't necessarily think that this beer needs 'saving'. Does the gravity keep dropping or are you basing this extended fermentation on airlock activity?

Take a gravity reading, then another 3 days later. If it's the same, then go ahead and bottle it. Give it plenty of time in bottles. Try one at 3-4 weeks and see how it is.

Do you know what's funny? I just brewed the same recipe from Papazian's book and it's been bubbling, then stalling, then bubbling, then stalling, for about a week now. What yeast did you use?

My only suggestion is to go ahead as normal. I have had beers that took a few months to really peak in flavor. I'm betting after a month or so in the bottle some of the more desirable flavors will come forward making it a very good beer.

Thank you guys for all the advice and encouragement. One more question - Should I put it in a secondary ? And if so, for how long ?

ohiobrewtus,
I was measuring gravity every 3-4 days and can see that its the same for the last two test. Thats why I think its getting close to done.

kyleobie,
I used Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier, activator pack. I think my mistake was not making yeast starter. What yeast did you use ?

HAH! I did the same thing! 3944, no starter. I had good experience with the smack pack for a weizen I did, read conflicting things on needing a starter, and bam. Slow fermentation.

My fermentation keeps stopping, I think - if I don't see much bubbling, I'm giving it a nice friendly shake to get it going again. The bubbles start up after that.

I'm somewhat concerned about the end product, but for now it's all RDWHAHB.

This was my 4th batch by the way, I'm still a noob.

Back