Third times a charm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamrock28

Reaction score
Ive tried this post before with little success so third time a charm..My goal is to create a lite american lager...All grain....Two row and rice only...1.40 SG/1.08 FG/4.2% Abv and under 100 calories..

Also id like a single hop addition of between 8-12 IBU...If anyone know of any recipes that would fulfill this requirement that would be great.

High gravity recipes welcome also just let me know the approximate water addition to add to it to satisfy the criteria above..Thanks!

I did nothing i found that matches what im looking for, why im posting here

NAIL 'lite' beers are either watered down or enzymatically treated to reduce the caloric content or triple hop brewed. This is usually done at the expense of flavor and alcohol. A very simple lager meeting all your requirements, sans calories, is going to run about 140 calories and not be very tasty.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.041 SG
Estimated Color: 2.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 10.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
4 lbs Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
0.50 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (45 min) Hops 10.8 IBU

ABV 4.16%
Calories 175 per pint
flavor ???? min

this is just a stab in the dark

I would also look at Biermuncher's recipe drop down, I have see a few good recipes there

the 100 calorie thing is a real killer !!

-Jason

ya i agree its not that difficult, just cant get those calories down...driving me nuts

What I don't understand is why go through all this trouble when you can buy flavorless light beers for little dough?

if you wanted to get away from a light lager and make a nice low calorie ale you could go with a scottish 60/-. It would probably be a little over the 100 calories but it be better than a bmc type clone.

Shamrock28

you have lost your bet,
yes you can brew something like you are describing, but it will be mostly rice, and to get those calories down you would need to have 100% attuen. then water it down afterwords.........

I would suck up the loss and get to brewing with flavor

if you are really bent on winning your bet go get 2 cases of commercial "light beer" fill a corny force carb and serve !

-Jason

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.041 SG
Estimated Color: 2.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 10.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
4 lbs Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
0.50 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (45 min) Hops 10.8 IBU

ABV 4.16%
Calories 175 per pint
flavor ???? min

this is just a stab in the dark

I would also look at Biermuncher's recipe drop down, I have see a few good recipes there

the 100 calorie thing is a real killer !!

-Jason

Brew this and give him half a bottle:mug:

all the educated and ambitiuos home brewers on this site, someones go to have an answer to this dilema

I think you may have run smack into the impossible...

Alcohol has 7 calories per gram or per 1.27 ml.

So, in a 12 oz. (355 ml) bottle at 4.2 % ABV you would have 14.9 ml of alcohol.

14.9*7/1.27=82 calories

And that's just pure ethanol in water.

Makes you wonder what's in light beer to get down to 64 calories. (Not :drunk:)

I've read that they use a fungal enzyme to finish lite beers so lite. That is why they are lite. And I always thought it was just because they were watered down!

this is how lite beer is made

"Most light beers, however, are made from a process made possible in 1964 with the commercial introduction of amyloglucosidase. This enzyme makes all the dextrins fermentable, unlike alpha amylase, which only affects some. All the starch in a beer can then be converted to alcohol, producing a slightly more alcoholic beer (about 1% higher than standard beer). In addition, because there are no dextrins left, the alcohol is absorbed more rapidly into the bloodstream. Tasteless beer that gets you drunk pronto? Sounds like a frat boy's dream. However, not wanting their customers to get blindsided by an unexpectedly potent drink, and perhaps realizing they can produce the beer less expensively with the same intoxicating effect of regular beer, brewers generally add water to adjust the alcohol content to slightly below that of a regular beer. There you have it--a weak-flavored, low calorie (from the loss of dextrins and subsequent dilution) beer with the same "kick" as regular beer.

Back