Magic Chef 7.2 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer Collar Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone that has a Magic Chef 7.2 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer with a collar on tell me the size they made it so that you can get two tapped kegs on the hump. I am grabbing some supplies on the way home from work and I forgot to measure it last night.

Also, if you can tell me the cleanest way you installed the collar to the unit that would be a big help too.

Thanks!
:mug:

Dude, do a little research, plan out your HD run and then do it. don't rush and hope someone has the same freezer as you.

I have that very freezer. 8in is the size that you are looking for. I'm using pepsi ball lock kegs if you are planing on using the same you'll be happy

Here's mine, I used 1x8 pine for a inner frame then attached 1x8 red oak on the outside frame. It is siliconed to the lid for easy access. The tank is on the outside with one gas line going in to a 6 way maniforld inside. Works great. 4 on tap and 2 on standby.
https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/medium/The_Unit.jpg[/IMG]

I used cheap pine construction-grade 2"x8"s. You don't even really need to attach it - mine is just sitting on top. Works great!

BrewDevilBuild253.jpg

wow, that came out very well. Hope mine looks that good when I get it done. I couldn't get the product that I wanted to make the collar out of so I guess that it will have to make it out of wood.

what size blichmann is that?

Thanks! I use three 15 gal. Boilermakers.

brewdevilbuild221.jpg

wow, that came out very well. Hope mine looks that good when I get it done. I couldn't get the product that I wanted to make the collar out of so I guess that it will have to make it out of wood.

what size blichmann is that?

would 2" of wood be sufficient for insulation? or would 1" of wood on the outside and 1" insulation behind the collar be more appropriate?

I would use a 2" w/ no insulation if you are mounting to the freezer, and a 1" with rigid foam insulation if you are mounting to lid. I use a mitered tongue and groove 1 X 8 and it works great with the tongue wedged in the slot on the lid where the seal goes. I also just used some screws and large washers to attach the insulation (not glue) so I could replace them if they get moldy.

I used cheap pine construction-grade 2"x8"s. You don't even really need to attach it - mine is just sitting on top. Works great!

BrewDevilBuild253.jpg

How is this collar holding up for you? Anything you would change?

Also curious how you joined the corners.

Thanks.

Back