Brugse Zot Belgian Blond

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic_35057

its good to be back!
Reaction score
Holy cow this was a good beer! Had never heard of it until last night at J. Clydes in Birmingham, Alabama. Did a quick google for a possible recipe but came up empty. What I would like to know is how many of you homebrewers have tried this beer and does anyone have a possible recipe for this?
The following is a description that I found....
Brugse Zot Blond Ale (Fool of Bruges)
Belgian Pale Ale from Brouwerij Straffe Hendrik / De Halve Maan of Belgium
The only beer that is brewed and lagered in Brugge, the fierce medieval town in Flanders, the Venice of the North. This pale blond ale is crowned with a white head and blooms with a fruity aroma. The palate is lemony citrus and sweet-n-sour pears giving it a refreshing dryness, embellished with hints of spices and orange, and an underlying faint malty sweetness. Short, fruity finish, with sharp, crisp carbonation. Gold medal, 2006 World Beer Cup. 6% abv; 11.2 oz.

Brugse Zot is a goldenblond beer with a rich froth and a fruity flavouring. The beer is brewed with four different kinds of malt and two aromatic varieties of hop which give the beer its unique taste.
Any idea the kinds of malts and aromatice hops that could/would give this beer its unique aroma and flavor?

I toured De Halve Maan brewery in Brugge a few years ago. A combination of spices -- not just hops -- lends much of the aroma and flavor to Bruges Zot. They said the spices used were a trade secret.

I toured the brewery just 2 weeks ago in Brugges Belgium. Its the only brewery left in old Brugge. Brugge is the best preserved 15th century town in europe. If you are every in Belgium, take the time to go to Brugge and tour De Halve Maan brewery.

The spices are the secret to the brew. Don't know what they use and they are not sharing. The Straffe Hendrik and Brugges Zot are the main brews, but they have a new 3rd brew that is only exported to the US. The tour guide told use that this brew is only exported to the US, and just started delivery 1 month ago. (to belgium style bars only apparently).

They use locally grown hops, said this year the hops crop was really poor due to too much rain in the late summer. (but of course didn't say what they were going to use)

They still brew in Brugge, fermentation is in 2 large conical fermentors on the roof of the brewery. They pipe the beer to a tanker truck and take it to their bottling and aging facility in the "suburbs". They still have all the old equipment from the last 100 years in the brewery, so its a fun tour, and you get a pint of Brugges Zot at the end.

Hey Medic (and anyone else reading!)... Did you ever come up with a recipe for Brugse Zot? I toured the brewery and really enjoyed this beer on a hot afternoon a few weeks ago. I'm been playing around with a recipe and was wondering what you all thought?

---
Fool's Blonde
Beer Style: Belgian Blond Ale

malt & fermentables
% Kg Malt or Fermentable Yield EBC
62% 4.000 German Two-row Pils 78% 3 ~
15% 1.000 Flaked Wheat 73% 3 ~
15% 1.000 Wheat Malt 84% 3 ~
8% 0.500 Aromatic Malt 78% 43 ~

Batch size: 23.0 liters

hops
use time grams variety form aa
boil 60 mins 42 East Kent Goldings leaf 5.0
boil 5 mins 14 East Kent Goldings leaf 5.0
Boil: 26.5 avg liters for 60 minutes

misc
use time amount ingredient
boil 5 min 14 grams Coriander Seed
boil 5 min 14 grams Cumin Seed
boil 5 min 14 grams Orange Peel, Sweet

yeast
Wyeast Forbidden Fruit (3463)

Original Gravity
1.064 / 15.7° Plato
(1.057 to 1.066)
Final Gravity
1.017 / 4.3° Plato
(1.014 to 1.018)
Color
13° EBC / 7° SRM
(Gold to Copper)
Mash Efficiency
75%

Bitterness
21.7 IBU / 8 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU

Here's the hopville link to the recipe too.

I searched the forum trying to find something newer but can't find anything. Does anybody have this recipe for extract?

Back