Brutus 10 build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks sweet. Are those the valves you bought from me? They look really familiar. I'm dying to get my build going too so I can start using mine. I also talked to ASCO about that particular model, and the tech told me that although they are not rated for NG or LP they can be used for that. The ones that are rated have special criteria for industrial purposes (tons of cycles unattended) so there's another level of testing required, and pricing of course. Also, did you start with stainless and paint over it?

Looks sweet. Are those the valves you bought from me? They look really familiar. I'm dying to get my build going too so I can start using mine. I also talked to ASCO about that particular model, and the tech told me that although they are not rated for NG or LP they can be used for that. The ones that are rated have special criteria for industrial purposes (tons of cycles unattended) so there's another level of testing required, and pricing of course. Also, did you start with stainless and paint over it?
Those ARE the valves I bought from you. THANKS!

My frame is built out of Steel that has been Powder coated. I can't wait for it to be operational!

One of the burners we are going to use is from my Bayou Classic KAB4 and is going to be too heavy to suspend by the gas pipe only. Any ideas how I can fashion a cradle or hanger for this burner?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good.

Could you braise some bolts onto the burner, giving an attachment point?

After looking at the picture of the burner, it looks like there are already bolts threaded into the burner. Should be able to fabricate some kind of mounting bracket.

Looking good.

Could you braise some bolts onto the burner, giving an attachment point?

After looking at the picture of the burner, it looks like there are already bolts threaded into the burner. Should be able to fabricate some kind of mounting bracket.
You are correct, there are 4 female threaded holes on the burner. Have you seen anyone with that kind of setup?

You could take a piece of Angle and drill it for the bolts to go through into the burner. That will give you something to build off of. I would be sure and leave some room to adjust the burner height. That way you can move the burner up or down putting the flame right where you want it.

You could take a piece of Angle and drill it for the bolts to go through into the burner. That will give you something to build off of. I would be sure and leave some room to adjust the burner height. That way you can move the burner up or down putting the flame right where you want it.
RonRock: Thanks for your guidance! I was able to have some angle iron brackets fabricated. See Pictures Here!

Looking good. I'm getting close to starting mine. It's finally getting warm enough to do some work in the shop, and the price of stainless has come down to within reason. But of course there is always that never ending "Honeydoo List"

Yours is looking good though.

Just wondered if you tried firing the ASCO valves yet to see how they perform? I've not had a chance to hook mine up and fire them.

Just wondered if you tried firing the ASCO valves yet to see how they perform? I've not had a chance to hook mine up and fire them.
Not yet, as I am trying to procure a service panel to mount everything.....

Everything else is pretty much done.

I just completed my Brutus Ten. I designed a simple burner support beam. I tapped the upper tubes and screwed 3/8 inch rods in 4 places, drilled holes in a 1" square tube (the length of the stand), then screwed 4 wing nuts from the bottom. You can then raise or lower all of your burners at the same time. Hopefully I can post a few pics.
BigHeart Brewery

BH1.jpg

BH2.jpg

BH3.jpg

BrutusTenBA.jpg

I just completed my Brutus Ten. I designed a simple burner support beam. I tapped the upper tubes and screwed 3/8 inch rods in 4 places, drilled holes in a 1" square tube (the length of the stand), then screwed 4 wing nuts from the bottom. You can then raise or lower all of your burners at the same time. Hopefully I can post a few pics.
BigHeart Brewery
Very nice! What did you use for your control panel box?

The powder coating for the stand, box, support beam and my heat exchanger support was a flat 100 bucks. The powder coat job was awesome however I had to make a stainless insert with some 1" bars on top of that to get my keg off the stand. The flame licked my powder coat and scorched it enough to make me stop the testing and lift it. It now works awesome. When the fire is going the frame is actually cold, even after a boil. Don't be afraid to powder coat, just lift it and allow the heat to escape from under the keg.

My box was an old security system box I found at my nearby salvage yard, the cover was from a street sign and the switches were from automation direct. My neighbor wired the box in 30 minutes.

BH1.jpg

BH2.jpg

BH3.jpg

BH4.jpg

BH5.jpg

Looks great! Good idea with the adjustable burners. Made moving them up to avoid the powder paint much simpler. Good job.

Being a Firefighter I'm kinda partial to Red myself.:rockin:

Ha! Keep the pics coming my friend! Looking great so far! :)

Thanks Lonnie.
We are almost there. Should have some new pics to post asap. Steve has the new Cotrol Box and cond. to run wires through. We have the new brackets installed for the Flame thrower burner on the boil kettle. it was determined that the burner was to high. se we had new brackets made up to lower the burner. 3rd Keggle is ready to have couplings welded in.
:tank:

nice lookin rig!!!!

It really reminds me of another one Ive seen around here.........;)

*edit
oh damn wait, you powdercoated yours. Very cool

Where might I find someone to powdercoat my frame when constructed? Where did you get the components for your electronics set-up?

Sweet!!! How many inches of clearance is there between your burner and the bottom of your keggle? Do you have any issues with soot?

Would you be so kind to post some pics and details of your control panel. Everyones is just a bit different and I haven't decide which direction I am going with yet.

I wonder if any one has bre in bigger pot in their brutus 10. I want to go higher than 15 gal perhaps 40g but I think having 2 40g tanks will not cut it.

any inputs

Back