What size gas line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMcPherson

Reaction score
For the first time I am seeing some references to using 5/16" gas lines and 3/16" liquid lines.
How common is this?
I don't see quick disconnects with different size barb fittings.

I think that's fairly common. It's how mine is setup. I didn't have an option when I was ordering my liquid disconnects (that I remember), but I could choose the size hose barb I wanted on the gas side.

I have no idea where that all started, but it's definitely been a thing for some time.

I run 3/16" ID beer and gas lines onto 1/4" barbs. A few seconds with a heat gun set on Low softens them up enough to ease right on, and they're tight enough that the clamps are only there as insurance...

Cheers!

I think you want the smaller size on the liquid side to help with resistance, at least for most runs. You want to use 1/4" line there for really long runs. Perhaps the 3/16" doesn't allow for enough flow of CO2 to hit the pressures needed? Really just a guess there.

You want to use 1/4" line there for really long runs.

1/4" is mostly for commercial use where you may have the kegs in a different room than the taps.

A really good starting point with home setups is 12ft of 3/16" beer line, kegs stored at 38*F and pressure at 12psi. You can always trim it back a foot at a time for more foam if needed. Forget making a line longer that's too short.

I like 1/4" ID for co2 because it will work on 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8" barbs with varying degrees of struggle (but no leaks). If you use 5/16, you can't use 1/4" barbs. In any case, using QDs with MFL ports will allow ANY barb size.

In any case, using QDs with MFL ports will allow ANY barb size.

Yes, but don't forget the nylon/soft flare washers where there are metal to metal MFLs. They don't ways make a gas tight seal when metal to metal, as often the case.at the regulator or manifold fittings.

At the ball lock/pin lock connectors is usually no problem since most of them have soft seats.

I started my kegging experience with 1/4" beer lines 10 feet long on 1/4" hose barbs. That's what the calculators said to use. Nothing but foam. Switched to 3/16" beer lines 12 feet long on the same 1/4" hose barbs and haven't looked back. Perfect pour every time. Just microwave a cup of water to boiling, dipthe vinyl lines into it and slip it onto the barbs.

For the first time I am seeing some references to using 5/16" gas lines and 3/16" liquid lines.
How common is this?
I don't see quick disconnects with different size barb fittings.

I use 3/16 tubing for both my liquid and gas lines. No issues with pressure or anything. All my ball lock fittings are threaded and require swivel barb connectors. I use the 1/4" barb swivels with the 3/16 line and warm the end in hot water to get the line to fit. I like having one size for both for some reason.

Thanks everybody for your help.
I've got my order in for fittings and other goodies.

Back