Distance needed between 2 species of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terek

"Did I just drop down a rabbit hole?"
Reaction score
I finally bought a farm, and have been looking for a good one for years. So now i have plenty of space for growing hops, but am trying to figure out how i want it set up. I have a 3 year old cascade plant behind the shop at my work, so i will gather some from it, and wanted to buy 3 other species.

My question is, how far apart do the different species need to be from on another, so they dont cross breed. A buddy told me they cant be too close together. I have looked around on the web, and really cant find a strait up answer. Is distance a problem? Can they cross breed by themselves? Or can i just line up all of them on one line?

It's not necessarily about cross-breeding; it's about the bines intertwining between different varieties and you not know what's what come harvest time. The recommended distance is 5 feet for differing varieties and 3 feet for same variety.

Several of mine grow together at the top and I just harvest them all together and dry. As it's a mix of several C hops and no true noble hops, I call this my "Pale Ale Blend" ;)

^Right^. If you get the basics right, there will never be "cross-breeding" as there won't be any male plants.

Interspecies intertwining can be a *****. 5 foot spacing would be the minimum to avoid it, imo...

Cheers!

^Right^. If you get the basics right, there will never be "cross-breeding" as there won't be any male plants.

Interspecies intertwining can be a *****. 5 foot spacing would be the minimum to avoid it, imo...

Cheers!

you just gotta keep up with pruning to keep em appart, which i do already. I prune the crap out of them. Gives you less hops, but you get big fat juicy cones like thei got this year. see pic :)

WP_20150805_12_03_41_Pro.jpg

Great to hear. As long as you side cut them every year you can pretty much keep different varieties a few feet apart without the rhizomes creeping from one crown to the other. Hops look good!

thanks all. this is what i thought, but people were telling me otherwise.

As others said, no cross breeding to worry about, just bines intertangling. Someone mentioned 5 feet. I would agree if they aren't connected at the top wire.

In other words, if there is a physical bridge for them to grow across, the bines will get together pretty quickly. So 8 to 10 feet is better. If there isn't a physical way to bridge across, the only way they can intertangle is if the side arms are blowing in the wind and somehow connect. In that case, 5 feet should be enough, though you may want to have a weedwacker on a pole to separate them.

I have two lines above on pulleys (so I can lower them) This way I alternate varieties when I tie up climbing twine so they don't get mixed up when I harvest them. One variety on first pulley line. Next variety on second line. Third variety on first line and continue. Works for me.

Back