Multiple hot breaks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I just finished a rye ipa. (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/bee-cave-brewery-rye-ipa-82451/). I fwh an ounce of tett (pellets), after initial hotbreak I added 1oz. Chinook (leaf). After 15 minutes it almost boiled over, next addition was at 30min .5oz. Chinook (leaf). 15 minutes later another near boil over. Was it the leaf hops? This is the first time i've used them.

This is my 20th batch and this has never happened before. Any logical explanations?

I have seen multiple boil-ups on occasion. Not sure if it's the leaf hops - I've had it happen with pellets and leaf.

The funny thing is they both came almost exactly 15 minutes after hop additions. Im not used to baby sitting my brew kettle.:(

Foam Control.....it's awesome. Some people like to call it FermCap.

I always have multiple boil-ups. I used foam control for my last brew and still had them...they were less than usual but still multiple...

It is always along with my hop additions also.

Back