How big a kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bringitonhome

Reaction score
Hi-
Got all my kit this week and should be all set to brew my first batch this weekend (or possibly next - stupid mother's day ;))
My question is, what kind of kettle & how big should i get for an extract brew?
I read a lot about "extract twang" and reduced hops isomerization from high gravity boils, so eventually, I think I'd like to do full 5g boils - first w/ extract then eventually AG. Which actually raises 2 more questions: Is it possible to do 5g boils indoors on a regular gas stove? and second - must you absolutely use a wort chiller if you do full boils?

Thanks

To do a full boil, you need to think about boiling 6+ gallons down to five. When you do AG, you'll probably be boiling around 7 gallons down pending how long you boil (60 or 90 min boils) and how much evap you get. That means you need something bigger than 30qt at a minumum.

If you have a hefty gas stovetop, maybe you can do full boils. Electric typically won't cut it. You really should just try to boil water on your own to see if it will work, but it will take a LONG time to get up to boil if it does get that high.

Think about getting a propane turkey fryer. That's what most full boil/AG guys use.

You don't NEED a chiller, but it will make for better beer in the end, and generally is much easier than trying to cool down 5 gallons of hot liquid. If you're doing partial boils, you can get away with the ice bath for a long time. You can get away with it on 5 full gallon batches, but it will take longer and require more work/ice to get down to pitching temp.

Nothing is NECESSARY, just helpful - and if you think you're going to get into it for good, get the best you can afford instead of buying now and buying bigger later because you didn't invest enough the first time.

I wouldn't attempt a 5-gallon full boil without a chiller. You don't know how heavy that five gallons of hot liquid is till you're staring at it trying to figure out how to move it around for an ice water bath.

Like jezter said...for around $60.00, you can get a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer kit.

OutdoorSetup.JPG

For around $45.00, you can rig an immersion chiller.
Wort_Chiller.JPG

What are you talking about I move my 10 gallon boils around all the time. That is how I get them set up for gravity feeding through the chiller. I lift them off of the burner and put them up on a high table to drain through the chiller on the way to the carboy. It only weighs about 70 - 80 lbs, and isn't as hot as you babies make it out to sound.

What are you talking about I move my 10 gallon boils around all the time. That is how I get them set up for gravity feeding through the chiller. I lift them off of the burner and put them up on a high table to drain through the chiller on the way to the carboy. It only weighs about 70 - 80 lbs, and isn't as hot as you babies make it out to sound.

You are such a stud!:p

Yeah I dont know much about 'brewing', but I have a feeling that moving 70-80 lbs of splashing, swirling, 212 degree liquid is probably not the best idea. Not for me anyway...

Wait until your brewing partner manages to pour 170 degree sparge water on your foot and you didn't put shoes on yet...

It's happened to me like 3 times - I guess I should be the one to pour while HE holds the cooler down from sliding across the room.

Back