Pasteurizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tandersen123

Reaction score
looking for infor on pasturizing but can't seem to find a thread here anyone know how to do it at home and what the benefits/cons are?

Tim

Short answer; just raise the temp of whatever it is you are pastuerizing to about 165-170 and hold it there for 5-15min then cool back down. It can change the flavor profile.

Sorry, too short.

It can help improve shelf life, but if you're sanitation is tip-top it shouldn't be necessary. If you're talking about doing it for something like the guinness clone recipe (in which you intentionally sour a portion of beer, then boil/pastuerize it and add it back to the main batch), all you need to do is heat it in a pot on the stove.

If you want to clean up wort for starters or something like that, look up tindallization, which is basically repeated boiling, and is an old school method to sterilize.

If you want to stop fermentation so you can back sweeten, that's another story. You could try potassium metabisulfite if you want to inhibit additional fermentation.

The heating process can cause flavor changes by driving off more volatile aromatic compounds, or destroying more delicate flavor compounds. If you end up boiling, you can sometimes cause additional isomerization resulting in additional bitterness.

What do want to pastuerize?

Thanks guys!
I made a batch of beer for a friend and they asked me if it was pasturized so I looked into it and just couldnt find much good info about it. my sanatization is top shelf I take every precaution so it sound like I have no need to attempt to pasturize. I've never had any trouble with the brew I'd bottled.

Tim

Pastuerization will kill your yeast, so fermenation must be complete, and you'll need to force carb - natural (bottle) carbing is impossible with dead yeast.

Nobody pastuerizes. Not even the big guys. Granted- some of the SABMiller / ABInBev stuff in bottles may be pastuerized for shelf stability, but pretty much all craft beer and most draft beer is not pastuerized.

If your friends are worried, tell them that there are no human pathogens that can survive in beer. Beer and the human body are too different. The worst that would happen is the beer would taste bad. They will not get sick.

Latest posts

Back