American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what i'm doing wrong but I haven't been able to nail this beer yet, first attempt it had an aftertaste and the second time I brewed it it seems to taste overly bitter (this is before carbonation as I just threw it in a keg) Not sure whats going wrong, the first time I didn't temperature control it for a few days so I thought that may be it, but the second time it was sitting around 68 the whole time.

Guess I should just try another APA.

Yeah the first time I brewed this, it was incredible. The last few times were a hit or miss. I experienced the "overly bitter" you mentioned. It wasn't like a good bitter either. I don't know how to describe it. Then the last time I brewed it, it sat in primary a few weeks then to keg and it still tasted very yeasty. Not sure if it's from the yeast? Haven't had great luck with US-05.

I haven't made this in a long time, but I seem to remember that it takes a little time in the keg before it all comes together.

Give it a little time and see what happens.

It was cold crashing for over a week previous, but I will give it some time and hope for the best.

I have a few OZ's of Columbus and Centennial. How should I alter this recipe so I don't have to spring for the Cascade? I'm thinking all centennial with a hop schedule of 0.5oz/60m, 0.5oz/30m, .25oz/15m and .25oz/5m. This comes out to around 42IBU's to my calculations. Does this sound like a good plan to make a similar beer to the original recipe?

I have a few OZ's of Columbus and Centennial. How should I alter this recipe so I don't have to spring for the Cascade? I'm thinking all centennial with a hop schedule of 0.5oz/60m, 0.5oz/30m, .25oz/15m and .25oz/5m. This comes out to around 42IBU's to my calculations. Does this sound like a good plan to make a similar beer to the original recipe?

That is what I would do

2nd brew day and second BIAB, bit under on this one with an OG of 1.044. It's funny because when I brewed BM's Centennial Blonde a couple of weeks ago I went over my target gravity.

Ah well I'm sure it'll still taste good.

I made a couple changes to the recipe:

- used gambrinus pale malt instead of 2-row
- used horizon hops for the 60 minute addition (29 IBUs) - some say cascade at 60 leads to too much bitterness
- moved the 30 minute addition to 20 minutes to get more aroma and less bitterness
- dry hopped with 0.5 oz - just threw the pellets into the primary and racked carefully a week later

Well just had my first bottle and its very nicely balanced and easy drinking. This beer should go over well with everyone. This is probably a good one to share with those still developing their palate for craft/home brews.

Thanks Ed!!

Last edited:
I brewed this about 3 weeks ago, hit my mash temp spot on, OG was 1.052. I used 1056 instead of Notty. I fermented for 2 weeks at 66 deg and then cold crashed for a week. When I took a final gravity reading, it was down to 1.006. I'm not sure if my hydrometer is off (though i did test in distilled water and it was fine). I just wasn't expecting such a high attenuation.

It's tucked away in the kegerator now and I'm eager to try it in a few weeks.

I brewed this on Sunday, with an error in my BIABacus spreadsheet and adding too much mash water in my BIAB, I have an OG of 1.040

I used Nottingham yeast and the activity has stopped already in the airlock... could it be finished already? I am going to pull a sample tonight and test on my refractometer

I brewed this on Sunday, with an error in my BIABacus spreadsheet and adding too much mash water in my BIAB, I have an OG of 1.040

I used Nottingham yeast and the activity has stopped already in the airlock... could it be finished already? I am going to pull a sample tonight and test on my refractometer

Definitely could be done already, especially if fermenting in the high 60s to 70s.

My 1.060 IPA is at 1.021 after 5 days fermenting on the colder side (64F). I expect it'll only drop another 3-5 points and it'll probably do that in the next 24-48 hours.

Definitely could be done already, especially if fermenting in the high 60s to 70s.

My 1.060 IPA is at 1.021 after 5 days fermenting on the colder side (64F). I expect it'll only drop another 3-5 points and it'll probably do that in the next 24-48 hours.

Ive had it held around 66-68 since Sunday :mug:

Notty is a beast. When ever I have made this beer with Notty, the fermentation was violent and quick.

I'm thinking about removing some liquid from the fermenter and dissolving some sugar torraise the final ABV
is this okay to do? Or should I use water instead?

So i made a single batch of this and it turned out great. Great all around beer anyone can drink so thanks for sharing. Figured I should make some more of it so I can always have it on top so this time I decided to do a double batch. Unfortunately I messed up and only had 3 ounces of hops instead of 4 and realize this while I was already boiling. Turns out i found the 4th ounce of hops afterwards.... anyway i used 2 ounces at 60m then .5 ounces at 30 and .25 at 15 and .25 at 5. Any recommendations on anything i can do? Would dryhopping with the left over ounce help? Im still in primary right now. Im usually a ipa guy so a little worried that it might be really tame. Thanks

I don't know. I do know it is a pretty tasty beer as designed, though.

I agree, but I don't know how it will fair with an OG of 1.040 :(

The airlock is still bubbling once every few mins, and there are starsan bubbles in the air lock

What is the fastest way any of you guys went to the glass with this brew? I'm going to cold crash my first batch at 4 days in the primary. Its 1.008 now on day 3.

What is the fastest way any of you guys went to the glass with this brew? I'm going to cold crash my first batch at 4 days in the primary. Its 1.008 now on day 3.

Not the answer you're looking for, but I did in like 2.5 weeks. Kegging, obviously ;)

Yeah its basically what the guy over at brulosophy does. I assume your familiar with it. I always was interested in quick beer. He's not a fan of notty however.

Are you using notty or a different yeast? I have made this beer with notty and us-05. I don't care for us-05 at all.

Yeah i will be shooting for around 10 days.

- 4-5 days ferment
- cold crash and gelatin fine 2-3days
- Keg @40psi for 24-36 hours.

This was one of my first kegged batches, so the burst carbing thing scared me. Probably had a week for sure in the keg.

I think 10 days is totally doable, and I'm not a cold-crash type of guy either. :)

This was one of my first kegged batches, so the burst carbing thing scared me. Probably had a week for sure in the keg.

I think 10 days is totally doable, and I'm not a cold-crash type of guy either. :)

Cold crashing is really interesting. It changes beer IME

why would burst carbing scare you? your keg will leak right away in most cases. and no one died from 5lbs of CO2 leaking.

Cold crashing is really interesting. It changes beer IME

why would burst carbing scare you? your keg will leak right away in most cases. and no one died from 5lbs of CO2 leaking.

Scared me, past tense. I had only kegged one batch at that time and was scared to death of overcarbing. I haven't made this beer in a few years, now.

I still haven't cold crashed, but have used Irish moss a few times. Always experimenting, we are :)

Brewing this again tomorrow morning, but a 2.75 gallon batch. I love the original recipe, but I have an ounce of simcoe in the freezer I need to get rid of that I'm going to dry hop with.

Scared me, past tense. I had only kegged one batch at that time and was scared to death of overcarbing. I haven't made this beer in a few years, now.

I still haven't cold crashed, but have used Irish moss a few times. Always experimenting, we are :)

Cold crashing is unavoidable if you want quick beer IMO. I actually carbed up about 1 litre of my batch, pretty much exactly has posted, lastnight! Tasty. I think it will take another 3 or 4 days to really clear up and it will be good to go!

I did get %5.5abv and i mashed a little higher.

I have another batch too that is pretty much exactly edworts. That i was going to ferment for 8 days instead of 4 days and compare. If there's little difference i see little reason to wait 4 extra days.

I'm just looking for an easy and quick recipe which is edworts inspiration for this recipe i believe. I've done a few SMaSH's they all turn out good. But this does look to be a little more "complex". Vienna which i've used in a SMaSH is one of the best base malts IMO.

FYI i used the exact grains, hops and yeast. Mashing was a little different has i use a grainfather.

FWIW, I have found that this beer takes a couple of weeks to really come together. I would recommend not hurrying it if you don't have to. It will be done fermenting just a few days, but I like to leave it in the keg for a while before I drink it

I like to do Biermuncher's Centenial Blonde if I need a quick (grain to glass in 10 days) beer.

FWIW, I have found that this beer takes a couple of weeks to really come together. I would recommend not hurrying it if you don't have to. It will be done fermenting just a few days, but I like to leave it in the keg for a while before I drink it

I like to do Biermuncher's Centenial Blonde if I need a quick (grain to glass in 10 days) beer.

You might be right. Thats why i have 2 batchs going. One will be closer to 14 days, which is still excellent/quick. I like the recipe and i just want a simple go to pale ale and the faster i can make it the better.

This is my first 2 brews in probably 6 months because i hate bottling. I should be able to get my C02 tank filled much easier now and i will probably buy a bigger one also.

So i haven't really got a good process down yet.

Oct 12 - Nov 2
Cold crashed it last night in the keg, connecting the CO2 now

my final gravity was ~1.006 so approx 4.5%

Back