John Bull Cider Kit...to rack over or not to rack over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisbrewg

Reaction score
Hi folks

I have a bucket of Jon Bull Cider thats still gurgling (slowly)after 11 days. Should I rack it over and let it finish or leave it be and let it finish?

I always transfer my beer once it stops....I leave it for a while before bottling and have never had a problem. This is my forst cider kit, so I'm a bit unclear about the how-to

Any help appreciated

I'm not familiar with the John Bull Kits, so I can't say 100% what they suggest, but racking to a secondary vessel after two weeks should be fine. I personally rack mine after two weeks to slow the yeasties down a little and then age for at least a month.

Not sure about the kits but my cider sits at least 1.5 to 2 months in primary and have let it be for 3.5 before going to secondary

I made a scratch hard cider, bought my un pasteurized cider from a local farmer. I added a bag of brown sugar, spices, and brought to room temp. Then transferred to my v vessel. I used ale yeast. Also i boiled some raisons and mashed them up for a natural yeast nutrient
1. should i do a 2nd ferment in a weak, or should i wait till it stops.
2. I am using priming tabs when i bottle, should i let sit for 2 weeks or can i start pounding after a week.

Never did a hard cider before but a friend challenged me and now i have to follow thru.

Back