Adding Yeast to Bottle, with Carbonation Drop, then recapping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy35

Reaction score
Hey all,

Have this darn tripel that I probably didn't aerate enough and I cannot get it lower than 1.022. I recenty capped the bottles, but then had second thoughts so I slightly cracked each cap to avoid bottle bombs.

It is still at same FG so I think fermentation is done.

To get carbonation I'm going to be using the Coopers Carb Drops (since I cannot add priming sugar), but I'm also debating adding a few grains of dry yeast to each bottle to kick start this mini-fermentation again. I'd really like to get it down to 1.01-1.015 as the recipe calls for.

I've taken every attempt to restart this fermentation - rouse yeast, raise temp, etc - and it has been stalled for a little over 4.5 weeks.

I just want advice on adding yeast and the carbo drops to each bottle - I don't want to create a messy experiment.

Its probably done. You will not be able to lower the FG in the bottle without getting bottle grenades. I would advise against adding both yeast and sugar. Maybe 1 or the other but both I believe would result in a bad outcome. The FG is what it is and if the beer is done its done. You can't really do anything to lower it. If you add sugar then the yeast will consume the sugar but it will not necessarily lower you FG to what YOU want it to be. Sorry thats my opinion. Good luck....

I agree, I wouldn't put more yeast in the bottle at this point.

Out of curiosity, why did you bottle it if you were so far off your FG?

I agree, I wouldn't put more yeast in the bottle at this point.

Out of curiosity, why did you bottle it if you were so far off your FG?

It was a definite mistake on my end. I shouldn't have, but it was stagnant for over a week at the same FG (albeit high) so I decided to bottle. I've posted several times in another thread regarding this. Many thought I should have warmed the temp to try to kick start it again - so I did (to 78-80) but it still remained high.

I'm concerned that I just use carb drops there is not enough yeast to create the carbonation. Is this a real possibility?

OG was only 1.06, yeast was Brewferm packaged yeast. I may not have aerated enough as it was the first time using a carboy. I think the plastic bucket approach is easier :)

You always gently swirl the fermenter to stir yeast back into solution,then warm it up a couple degrees. warming it 10 degres or more is a bit much. It can take a week to knock off that last couple points.

Back