I had my first airlock blow out- with antifoam drops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrydrez

Reaction score
This is the first time those foam control drops have failed me. Granted, I am fermenting a batch of Cannonball Stout (AHS) with two packs of Notty. The poor foam control drops never stood a chance against such a foamy onslaught. All is well though: I was able to clean up and put in place a sanitized blowoff.

Let this be a lesson: foam drops are incredible, they really make your life easier and mostly boilover/blow off free. However, they do not make you immune to blow offs and really big beers fermented with really aggressive yeast will still blow off.

Though, I must say: being able to take a nap during hop additions is fun.

I had my very first fermenter yeast party last night as well. I poured a 1.080 tripel on top of 1/3 of the yeast cake from a 1.048 patersbier. I added 10 drops of Fermcap-S prior to aerating/mixing the wort. 3787 is a beast, thats for sure.

Came home and the top had blown the cover clear off the bucket. I guess a better result than having the airlock come out spraying the ceiling. Just some wort on the bucket, tile floor, and a little wall "trub art" that cleaned up fairly easily. 30 minutes of clean up total.

Blow off tube added and I'm back in business.

Mine is yes. Got it back in late August, so almost brand new.

I had no blow off issues using the same yeast at lower gravity. But with all the active yeast cells in the cake and 1.080 OG, I guess it was inevitable. I would estimate 5.5 gallons in my 6.5 bucket.

Back