WLP001 is a beast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
since i started using liquid yeast and making starters been getting blow off. this is 18 hour after pitching, 1.087 og and a 2 liter starter made 24 hours before. wlp001 is a beast compared to s05

img01700472152.jpg

man, this happens to me all the time.

i've gotta agree, wlp001 starters ferment like crazy. (i do 1L starters on a stirplate for ~24hrs.)

ive liked the results from this yeast time and again. However, i do have one complaint. this bad boy has a tendency to over attenuate (at least for me). last batch i had 85% attenuation which left the beer with a lot less body than desired. and this was with a mash temp of 154. not sure what to do about this. should i just plan to mash 2-4 degrees higher than recipes call for everytime i use WLP001?

My understanding from another thread is a lower temp mash will lower attenuation numbers.

I just picked up some WLP001 for my Raspberry Wheat. OG will be around 1.058 so I better plan on blow off even if I don’t get it.

Nope, mashing hotter reduces attenuation, there's less beta-amylase activity so you have a less fermentable wort. You could also experiment with doing a shorter mash or a mash out.

However, i do have one complaint. this bad boy has a tendency to over attenuate (at least for me). last batch i had 85% attenuation which left the beer with a lot less body than desired.

Perfect for those big, dry, West Coast style IPAs :)

If you want more body but without the additional sweetness, maybe add a bit more Cara-Pils or wheat malt rather than increasing the mash temp? Depends on the style, of course.

My understanding from another thread is a lower temp mash will lower attenuation numbers.

I just picked up some WLP001 for my Raspberry Wheat. OG will be around 1.058 so I better plan on blow off even if I don’t get it.

Mashing lower, will increase attenuation, and the OG will be lower.

It's kind of like turning the a/c up or down. does that make it hotter or cooler?

Back