Side by Side Fridge/Freezer Combo for Fermentation and Distribution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
Have brewed my first batch of beer successfully and am now looking to expand my operation.

What I would like to do is get a side by side refridgerator/freezer combo and use the fridge side as the fermentation area - am wondering whether I can get a fridge to climb as high as 60 degrees.

Would like to use the freezer side as my distribution side (putting shanks through the door and putting taps in. That side would stay around 40-55 degrees depending on the desired brew temperature.

I'm limited by floor space in my garage, which is the side by side seems like a good idea. I don't anticipate having more than 2 beers brewed with 1 fermenting at any given time. I will be using corny kegs for both fermentation and distribution.

Questions:
1. Is this physically possible? (Will the fridge go to 60 and will the freezer go to 40-55?)
2. Is it advisable?
3. Any other clever ideas? (which is why I'm asking)
4. I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but I was unable to find the threads - a link to the appropriate thread would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

I don't know much about the inner workings of refridgerator/freezers. Sounds like a great concept...but I doubt you can get your sides to those temps without an external themostat (A setup that you plug the refridgerator powercord to and then plug the external unit into the outlet. Then placing the external thermostat wire into the fridge to contrl temp). I'm assuming that the side by side has 2 internal thermostats, one for each side and 2 compressors. Problem is only 1 power cord. You'll have to some how set up an external thermostat to both sides. Hopefully someone else can elaborate further, but it seems to me you'd have to take apart the refridgerator and find out where the internal thermostat is and the power supply to each of the compressors that cool the two sides.

Thanks Powderbock. Based on what I've read elsewhere in these threads, I believe that you are correct. Too much engineering for my rookie mind at this time. I believe that what I'll do is the "swamp cooler" method for my fermentation and just get one fridge/freezer for the kegerator.

Thanks for you reply.

Back