Hop farm tour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
That pile is ONE magnum bine!

2113-img_0976.jpg

Tiffiny in Cascades The rows go back about 1/4 mile.
2113-img_0985.jpg

Loading bines into the processor

2113-img_0992.jpg

The hop dryer. For scale, check out the guy in the upper left corner of the bin.

2113-img_0999.jpg

Sweet! I hope to be in Hallertau next weekend. I'll see if I can get some time to take some pics and post them.

That makes me wish it was spring so i can plant my ryzomes!

But wait, if it was spring football would be over and all i would have on TV is Baseball and Hockey!!!

Crap crap crap.

Nothing to drink beer to!!!!

On the other hand, this is my harvest. Four vines second year. On the left, Willemette, Northern Brewer AND Cascades. Fuggles on the right. Looks like the Whole Harvest ale will be a Mild. More water next year!

2113-img_1018.jpg

david_42 said:
On the other hand, this is my harvest. Four vines second year. On the left, Willemette, Northern Brewer AND Cascades. Fuggles on the right. Looks like the Whole Harvest ale will be a Mild. More water next year!

Lookin good! So are oyu actually going to dry them, or are you going to do a wet hopped harvest ale too?

Well, there's only 4 oz. wet of Fuggles and 4.5 oz. wet mixed, so I plan on drying them to get a better handle on how much I'm working with. Most of the guys at Hop Madness were using pounds of fresh hops! I picked today because we MIGHT get some rain. Also, my next brew session is on Michaelmas, (17 Sept). I was going to wait, I mean, we've gone 76 days without rain, what's another two weeks?

EdWort said:
Sweet! I hope to be in Hallertau next weekend. I'll see if I can get some time to take some pics and post them.
Over 10 years ago I was on hop farms in Toppenish and Sunnyside, WA when I got my rhisomes right from the plant myself.

I lived in Germany 9 years. I've been to more breweries and hop farms than I can remember (Lindau in the Tettnang hop region several times, Treutchlingen and the Spalt region, and between Ingolstadt and Munich is the Hallertau region), but there is no town named Hallertau that I am aware of...so where are you going?

I lived in Augsburg for 4 years, only about 45 miles from Munich, and 50-60 from Ingolstadt.

I also lived 11 miles south of Bamberg (worked there for 5 years) or about 40 miles north of Nurnberg.:D

This is my harvest of first year plants. Cascade on the right, Nugget on the left.

HPIM2434.jpg

I havn't weighed em yet. I figured maybe they should dry first.
Anybody got a recipe for Nugget and Cascade?

That's digusting! You got more off of two plants the first year than I got off of four the second year. And I live in one of the major hop growing areas in the world.

I need a woman in my life that can make things grow.:D

Back