Easy Clean Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCBeernut

Reaction score
It's labeled as a cleanser, not a sanitizer. I wonder if it's the same stuff they used to call sanitizer... I seem to remember "Easy Clean" that was sanitizer.

Anyway, if you're at all worried, I'd get some StarSan and use that to sanitize, and just use the Easy Clean to clean before sanitizing. If it's the stuff I think it is, it's pretty much OxyClean, which does wonders for cleaning carboys and bottles.

I have actually dug up a few other threads on some other sites about this stuff via google searches. It seems that it is similar to oxyclean, and may not be a sanitizer, just like you said. My concern is with my aluminum brew kettle. Oxyclean and other oxidant cleaners should not be used with aluminum pots correct?

Consensus seems to be that it's okay to use on aluminum for the time it takes to clean, as long as you rinse thoroughly.

Some are of the opinion that OxyClean will increase the passive oxide layer on aluminum (which is good); others say it will remove the passive oxide layer (which means you'd have to boil some water in the pot for a while to build the layer back up).

I've never used it on aluminum myself, so I can't help... but to me it makes sense that it would help build up the passive oxide layer, not break it down.

As far as I am informed Easy Clean does indeed sanitize. It is all I've ever used for sanitation. Oxiclean/PBW is OK for metals, just not for Teflon coatings. I use Easy Clean on everything.

Back