Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've made several different brews now, and only one of the recipes called for Irish Moss. Since I only used 1 tsp, I have TONS of it left. Do you use it in other brews, or only when called for?

Lorena

I bought a small bottle and will use it on everything now except the weissen's.

I bought a small bag for an IPA, I'll probably use it on everything other than stouts and porters (or anything that WANTS to be cloudy). Doesn't seem like it adds or subtracts any flavor, and it makes things a little clearer, so why not? I probably won't buy more when I run out unless the recipe call for it, but it just seems like one of those things to use if you have, to not sweat if you don't.

All it does is clear things up. Some people are into making those nice, clear beers and some don't care. Personally, I go ahead and throw it in unless it's a wheat. It's easy and I already have it, so why not.

Almost every recipe in Beer Captured has it as an ingredient.

I use it all the time, even though I mainly do dark ales. It can trap grain particles with the proteins.

My LHBS guy told me that unless it is a wheat or something similar he would recommend putting a bit of the Moss in every beer, i laughed at him and said "sure you do, I guess i will but a jar of it." Damn he is a good salesman.

It's dehydrated seaweed, so I'd doubt it....I think it smells like fishfood

1 tsp is the usual amount I see.......like others have said, a little more/less is fine, just probably don't want to go nuts with it, I use 1 tsp.

I usually get it in a plastic babyfood jar looking deal. I tend to only use about a teaspoon or a bit less. you dont need a whole lot of it.

It helps coagulate the cold break. .5 to 1.5 tsp is the norm for a 5 gal batch.
It shoud be added 15 can before end of boil. Some people mix it with hot water first then add to boil.

I've never heard of it pulling out to much protien.

I think Stouts and Porters are the exception, but i was told to just get into the habit of using it with everything, it can not hurt, so i do.

Denny's Brew (and I) use irish moss 15 min before flameout. In other words, at the tail end of the boil.

Like the Reverand JC, I dont bother when brewing darker beers.

- magno

I got a kit with "irish moss" but it was a white pellet. I tossed the thing in a box and used the normal flakey stuff im used to. Ever see that mysterious white pellet irish moss?

Back