The beauty of extended "cold crashing"..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberbackpacker

Reaction score
I brewed up an AG Winterfest (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/first-ever-brew-first-all-grain-spiced-winter-ale-86797/) on Nov 1, bottled on Nov 30, and began consumption Dec 22.

Turned out quite tasty, nice head and lacing, but with a bit of cloudiness... partially as I was still disturbing the yeast no matter how carefully I poured...

Fast forward to Friday night... two months since it had been bottled. I originally had put a few of these in the back of the fridge for when my FIL and MIL visited and they have been in there a solid two monts (Nov 30 to Jan 30). I also had not had any of these in a few weeks.

What a difference on presentation/clarity this time... when I poured I was super careful but I believe I could have shaken the thing and not disturbed the yeast; there was a very solid yeast layer on the bottom and this beer was as clear as any commercial variety you will find.

Overall: some of the harsh notes of the spices (clove?) had diminished leaving a much more pleasant hit on the palate. Still very pleasing aroma.

However, I did not note more in my original tasting notes anything other than "beer is properly carbonated". This time on drinking it was properly carbed, but the carbonation didn't seem as "brisk" as I would like. However I do not remember having this reaction when I was originally drinking these. Is it possible that it lost carb in the fridge?

Nevertheless, I was super impressed by how clear this was, and tasty too of course.

I am down to my last 4- one more in the fridge and 3 cellaring.

I was just about to put up a post about this, how much better your beer will be after a little cold conditioning.

I have brewed four beers now and the first one was a bavarian hefeweizen. I brewed, fermented three weeks, bottle conditioned two weeks and then threw it in the reefer for a day or two. When I tasted it, there were definitely off flavors, a little too alcoholic up front with a long bitter finish that was just unpleasent. It even seemed to be a little syrupy.

I figured I would try some cool conditioning so I threw a case of them in the reefer for two weeks and Im trying one tonight. The verdict: really good! Mellow with a crisp mouthfeel, the hops follow through smoothly and just a generally very pleasant beer. Patience and a couple weeks in the fridge are sold on me.

Im having an opposite reaction with my beer. Yea it cleared up but I cant take the taste at all. My roomies like it but I just cant drink a whole one mabye only two oz. then Im done. It sucks but whatever lesson learned. No Drinking and brewing. Ok maybe just one and thats it.

Back