Upright Freezer for Cellaring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wherestheyeast

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone uses an upright freezer for cellaring beer & what some considerations might be.

Other than hooking up a temp controller what other things do I need to think about?

-WTY

Strong shelves to support the weight. Also think about spacing the shelves based on size and number of bottles you have. As with anything, capacity is always an issue so being efficient will be important. The tighter you pack in the bottles the more efficient your freezer will be as well.

One thing that would also be nice is an inventory sheet so that you can quickly find that beer you are looking for, by shelf, row and depth would be my method.

some upright freezer units have cooling lines in the shelves themselves so they can't be moved or removed.

I was just wondering if anyone uses an upright freezer for cellaring beer & what some considerations might be.

Other than hooking up a temp controller what other things do I need to think about?

-WTY

With most of them, you can just rig up a temp controller.

I use an upright freezer (w/ STC-1000) for a fermentation chamber. It works quite well.

That's what I do, deep freeze upright / digital temp controller. Keep it at 40, beer is perfect temp, and I can also lager carboys in the bottom.

It's really full right now, I may add some shelves on the lower right hand side to accomodate more bombers.

Full beer fridge.jpg

Back