Denver CMC group grain buy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sent my check out last week and it hasn't cleared. How will we know when/if they get our money?

I have a private version of the spreadsheet that I asked Jason to mark down who's payment he has not received. Unfortunately he hasn't done that yet... I'll touch base with him today.

Where exactly is the drop off address? Is there still a need for people to come and off load the truck?
Sent my check out last week and it hasn't cleared. How will we know when/if they get our money?
It seemed like the last the bulk buy was arranged they did the same thing. I'm sure they got your check, but just haven't cashed it yet.

Where exactly is the drop off address? Is there still a need for people to come and off load the truck?

Right now only about 4 people have committed to making themselves available for the unload, but I imagine others will show up as well.

Address is 19870 E. Tufts Dr., Centennial, CO 80015.

Copy paste that into maps.google.com and you will see the front of my house in the "Street View".

If anyone wants to contact me directly email is dahoov at gmail dot com and my mobile phone is seven two zero - nine eight nine - seven seven seven five.

I look forward to meeting some of the local brewers, SLAINTE!!

[ame]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=19870+E.+Tufts+Dr.,+Centennial,+CO+80015&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.546691,75.410156&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=19870+E+Tufts+Dr,+Centennial,+Colorado+80015&t=h&z=16[/ame]

And as a reminder to all, the grain will be safe from the weather in my garage so if you are unable to make it Saturday that is fine. Just let me know when you plan to be here. I work from home so I am usually here but I would hate someone to stop by unexpectedly when I am at the store or something.

Again, if you are not able to be here Saturday let me know when you plan to stop by so I am here.

Thanks Dahoov! I'll be there as soon as I can in the afternoon. The fiance and I are participating in the furry scurry at Wash Park in the morning. I will see everyone there. :)

This was posted by Chris from the last bulk buy:

"Just got off the phone w Jason.....all checks have been recd, trailer is loaded, he is hoping to be there a few minutes before 2.

He said that he does not plan on depositing the checks until he gets home and everyones orders are ok.

So hopefully delivery goes as smoothly as the rest of this has.
"

Perhaps the same thing will happen this time.

My plans have changed and I will be able to make it over to pick up the grain tomorrow.

With 3000 pounds already picked up here is what 3200 pounds looks like.

2011-05-07%2015.55.35.jpg

The folks from CMC were great to work with. Wayne (the father) single-handedly loaded 6250 pounds of grain onto the trailer and helped us unload after driving about 4 hours to be here. He deserves high praise from all of us.

By the way, I asked them about the checks and they will deposit them sometime next week. They wanted to be sure we were happy first.

Thank you for "hosting" the latest CMC group buy.

While it was a bit longer drive for me to pick up the grain, the smoothness of the transaction more than made up for it.

I hope to read some comment about beers made with CMC barley. This is my fourth purchase from them over a two year period. So far I, personally, have used at least 1/4 ton of CMC products. I am extremely pleased with the quality and flavor of the malt.

The last APA I made with CMC malt received an total score of 40 in the Hop Barley and the Alers competition. It was judged by no less a personage than Janis Gross, the competition director of the AHA. Her overall impression comments were: "Thanks for entering this beer. I really enjoyed the balance and flavors of your entry"

A lot of that was from using CMC Malt.

Dahoov, sorry for being unable to make it this weekend - sometimes life gets in the way, any chance you'll be around on Saturday, 5/14, about 1:30pm?

If you sold my bag to the highest bidder by now I understand. :)

No problem it will be here waiting for you. See you then.

Dahoov, sorry for being unable to make it this weekend - sometimes life gets in the way, any chance you'll be around on Saturday, 5/14, about 1:30pm?

If you sold my bag to the highest bidder by now I understand. :)

I'm definitely in for 200 lbs.

I bought 100 lbs. in the second Denver buy, and it's long gone. Made some great beer though. My house Pale Ale was one of the best ever.

Wayne or Ryan would either of you be up to coordinate the next buy?

I can set it up and host the delivery again if it looks like we will get enough demand. I believe the first big price break is at 2000 lbs. If we can get above 5000 lbs we may be able to get an even better deal. Last time we had 6250 lbs so it is definitely doable.

Wayne or Ryan would either of you be up to coordinate the next buy?

I don't mind coordinating it again. I'm not entirely convinced there's enough interest to open it just yet though, or if we do open it now, maybe the ordering window should be open for a while? They have a 1000 lb minimum, and last time we ended up with over 6000 lbs.

If you disagree, speak up.

-Ryan

I can set it up and host the delivery again if it looks like we will get enough demand. I believe the first big price break is at 2000 lbs. If we can get above 5000 lbs we may be able to get an even better deal. Last time we had 6250 lbs so it is definitely doable.

I don't believe there will be any price breaks based on the last conversation I had with them. The demand for their products is through the roof. They can't even keep up with production...

I don't mind coordinating it again. I'm not entirely convinced there's enough interest to open it just yet though, or if we do open it now, maybe the ordering window should be open for a while? They have a 1000 lb minimum, and last time we ended up with over 6000 lbs.

If you disagree, speak up.

I agree. I don't brew quite as much in summer as other times of year, owing to vacations and my house's lack of air conditioning (need to get a second chest freezer!), so I still have a good deal of malt from the previous buy. I would be in for at least 200 pounds in the next go-round, but I probably won't be ready until sometime in the fall. So if we open it up now, I would (selfishly) advocate for a longer ordering window. Just my 2¢.

I agree. I don't brew quite as much in summer as other times of year, owing to vacations and my house's lack of air conditioning (need to get a second chest freezer!), so I still have a good deal of malt from the previous buy. I would be in for at least 200 pounds in the next go-round, but I probably won't be ready until sometime in the fall. So if we open it up now, I would (selfishly) advocate for a longer ordering window. Just my 2¢.

I have similar thoughts. Although I am almost out of what I picked up in the last round (15 gallons for a 4th of July party and 20 gallons for a wedding sure ate into my stock quickly) I probably still have enough to get me through to October.

On a separate note, how many would be interested in a group hop buy. The best price I have found is by the pound and although there are a couple varieties I can go through a full pound I would like to have more than just a couple varieties.

Dahoov said:
On a separate note, how many would be interested in a group hop buy. The best price I have found is by the pound and although there are a couple varieties I can go through a full pound I would like to have more than just a couple varieties.

I would be interested in the future, but I just made a big purchase. As for grain, I'm good for a few months, but might pick up a sack or two to hold supplies through next summer.

I missed out on the last one and can't imagine paying $65 for a sack of CMC pale at the LHBS... I'd be in for 200#... sounds like we might be at 1000# without trying too hard... I'll keep watching the board!!
Cheers!
Mike

I'm good with an extended window also. I'm okay for a couple months.

I liked how you did the last one, using Google Docs to keep track of folks orders.

I will commit to at least 150#, but possibly more depending on the price. No price breaks kind of sucks, but if it's still .75/lb that's a ton better than the LHBS.

As far as hops, I just ordered a bunch, so I'm good on that. I try not to keep more than 6 months since they lose potency even kept in the freezer.

- Scott

I havent been brewing much during the summer months either. We do a lot of brewing in the beginning of the year (Jan-Feb-March) where I brew all of my strong ales for the next winter. I agree that the window would have to be, likely, through the fall. But, in that case I would be down for some grain, and I know my neighbor would be down for a sack or two as I have got him into homebrewing as well.

I would be interested in a hop buy though, so if someone wants to make a separate thread for that to gauge interest, I would suggest that instead of doing it here.

I'll keep checking this thread though to look for updates, etc

I would be in for at least 100# maybe more if the price is right. I'd also be in on a hop buy if something gets rolling on that come harvest time.

I participated in the group buy before this one, and would definitely be interested in another. Probably 150# plus or minus one bag, depending on the timing. I'm really enjoying CMC's product.

Well its been a while since the last post, but I'd be interested in a bag or two.

Are there any serious plans to light this rocket, or will it be tabled for the rest of the year?

We should open it up now, maybe late October delivery?

Fair enough.

I will call CMC today or tomorrow to get the latest prices and start a new spreadsheet. As soon as I have the details together I will start a new thread and post a link in this one.

Back