Got my new grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob869007

Mmmmm Beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A few days ago I got my Barley Crusher from the Brown Truck guy. I used it for the first time yesterday. It worked like a champ right out of the box. I put a heavy duty 1/2 drive drill on it and went to town. I normally get 64% efficiency when the LHBS dude crushes my malt. Yesterday I got 81% on the factory direct setting. This may be the best investment I've made since I built my MLT.
:ban:

A few days ago I got my Barley Crusher from the Brown Truck guy. I used it for the first time yesterday. It worked like a champ right out of the box. I put a heavy duty 1/2 drive drill on it and went to town. I normally get 64% efficiency when the LHBS dude crushes my malt. Yesterday I got 81% on the factory direct setting. This may be the best investment I've made since I built my MLT.

Nice to hear. Congrats!

I'm hoping that I'll get a similar bump when/if I get mine. I've been laying it on pretty thick for a Christmas gift so.... fingers crossed.

I got the same results. Isn't it amazing what a decent crush can do! Anybody wondering if they should crush their own, what are you waiting for?

I love mine and best of all it is made just 2 towns over from me. I drove there and picked it up from Randy.

I just used mine for the first time on Friday. It was awesome- so I decided not to make my life too easy, and hand cranked it. It was a small grain bill, so it was fine. For a larger grain bill, though, I'll drag out my drill.

My efficiency (normally 68-70% with AHS grains) was 89%. I was expecting it to be higher than normal anyway, so I just made 5.5 gallons. I'll be looking at reducing my grain bills slightly now. I have to say, though, that I used the factory setting, and that grain was really crushed. Big difference between what I had and the grain I've received from the LHBS or AHS.

Mine should be on my doorstep tomorrow after I get home from work. Weather permitting icey tonight. Looking forward to the brew day on Wed. Should I plan a recipe for a high eff or should I plan on the same 62% as always and adjust after on the next batch until I get everything dialed in. If i plan for a Pale Ale and see the numbers after the mash are more in line for a IPA I can always adjust the hops in the boil. I think I answered my own question.

Thanks

where did yall buy em??

did ya go fir 15#, or 7lb version?

looks like a nice toy. santa says i was good, and i can order it! (shhh, she is asleep right now).

dad-gum-it... i am buying a new stand alone burner, and real size brewpot... i dont think i was good enough this year to get all of that, plus a barley crusher :(

damn "credit crisis" has everyone skeered, even me. guess it waits...

Mine is being delivered to my office tomorrow. I got the #7. I am so excited. Thank you to those people that got their computers infected with spyware so I could charge them to fix them. Now I get to go to my LHBS and get a fifty sack....of grains that is

Mine did arrive this PM and i ran some grain thru it and..................... What a difference over the online retailers. Happy as a pig in shi!. I got mine from Northern Brewer.

Santa should be delivering a barley crusher for me this year. It will be a good Christmas for me, can't say the same for the barley for it will be... crushed.

Back