NJ: trade Cascade plant for another variety?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I have quite a few Cascade plants in various sized pots that are first year from rhizome and growing pretty well now. I'd like to trade pot for pot of some variety I don't have. I have Chinook, Fuggle, Centential and obviously Cascade... anyone?

I've only got centennial unfortunately. It is second year and I was able to pull three nice clones off that popped up about a foot further-from-center than the main growth clusters. I've got friends in town(Caldwell) with other varieties, the strange one that stands out is Newport, which I had never heard of. If I can work a clone off of it I'd love to get a Fuggle trade, which I like in my Belgian ales. If they have any other different ones I'll post the types.

How about a beefsteak tomato? I'd be interested in feedback from Jersey hop growers. How much space these actually take up; what kind of yield first and second year; what grows better in this region; how much sun and water required; how controllable these plants are --- I heard they grow like weeds.

They do grow like weeds which is why I have so many cascade plants. A guy I know wanted all of his taken out so the whole brewclub went over with shovels. I got a continuous 8 foot long root that I broke up into 8 pots. They're all growing.

I plan to grow in very large pots for a while so I don't have to worry about spreading. The two second year plants I have are in half wine barrels (30 gallons each).

Soulive is in central NJ and has a few second year cascades if I'm not mistaken.

You want a Williamette cutting? I put one in the ground last spring and it's going strong. Actually produced 1 oz in the first season, so it should be good for a cutting.

The biggest problem I had in the first year is Japanese Beetles. They ravaged my Fuggle big time, not as much on the Cascade. I really don't like overusing pesticides.

MrNate, I'm always up for a new variety. I've got Fuggle, Centennial, Cascade and Chinook in trade.

Wow Bridgewater and Piscataway...I'm in Raritan and go to school in New Brunswick. Hello New Jersyians.

Hey, you'ns got a new website! I'd show up, but you already have a Nate. Violates the franchise agreement.

I really am running out of excuses, huh?

We're pushing the limits of the space at JJ's also so if you're serious about checking it out, I'd do it sooner than later. Frankly I'm really surprised that more local HBT folks don't show up. It's like being a good bowler without joining a league.

In all honesty, the idea of a home brew club just doesn't do much for me. I guess I have this impression that people who join homebrew clubs like to hang around talking about beer and homebrewing and stuff. I do want to come check out the next meeting, though. I have Tuesday nights free now, so I'd like to at least see what it's like.

Back