OG in BeerSmith vs NB Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyclingCraig

Reaction score
I am brewing my first all grain this weekend, it is the NorthernBrewer Irish Red kit.

Here are the Gains specified in the kit.
7.5 lbs. Rahr 2-Row Pale
0.75 lbs. Dingemans Caramel Pils
0.25 lbs. Briess Special Roast
0.125 lbs. Dingemans Biscuit
0.125 lbs. Simpson's Chocolate

This is what I put into Beersmith(Don't know if I translated properly from kit to BS):
7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.62 %
12.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.56 %
4.0 oz Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 2.85 %
2.1 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 1.48 %
2.1 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.48 %

The OG from the Kit says 1.040, but beersmith says 1.045?
(I have brewhouse eff set at 75% in BeerSmith).

Which one is correct and which should I be shooting for?

Thanks
-Craig

Well, 75% might be a bit high for a first Ag, but it's doable. Maybe plan on 70% for your first one, just to be on the safe side. Since you have the kit, you probably have a decent crush (or do you have your own mill?) so you might do better than 70%, but that's a good place to start.

YooperBrew said:
Well, 75% might be a bit high for a first Ag, but it's doable. Maybe plan on 70% for your first one, just to be on the safe side. Since you have the kit, you probably have a decent crush (or do you have your own mill?) so you might do better than 70%, but that's a good place to start.

The grains are NOT crushed, I actually have a brand new Barley Crusher waiting to be used :)

But to get to 1.040 like the Kit States, the eff in beerSmith needs to like 60% ??

When I put it in Beersmith, I get 65% efficiency for 1.040, and 75% for 1.047. You should be in there somewhere, so I wouldn't worry about it. Do you have Beersmith set at the top for "all grain"?

CyclingCraig said:
Which one is correct and which should I be shooting for?

Thanks
-Craig

...both are "correct" and neither is applicable to a large degree.

What is important would be what your typical/average efficiency % is and you'll figure that out over the course of your next few batches. Once you know your %, you will be able to predict the results of a given recipe brewed on your rig. As I dialed my rig and techniques in when I started AG, my efficiency went from 65-75~78%. An example would be a typical BYO recipe is quoted with a 60% effi and you would adjust the grain bill based on your average efficiency.

brewt00l said:
...both are "correct" and neither is applicable to a large degree.

What is important would be what your typical/average efficiency % is and you'll figure that out over the course of your next few batches. Once you know your %, you will be able to predict the results of a given recipe brewed on your rig. As I dialed my rig and techniques in when I started AG, my efficiency went from 65-75~78%. An example would be a typical BYO recipe is quoted with a 60% effi and you would adjust the grain bill based on your average efficiency.

Ahhh.. OK, now I get it.. I will just Brew.. then update beersmith with my Pre-boil Gravity and Volume, along with post Boil Gravity and Volume and over a couple of batches I will see what my "general" eff is! Once I get a feel for it, then I can adjust reciepies for my system. :D

Back