Smell of All Grain versus Extract or Partial Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walking_Target

Reaction score
I took my first foray into All Grain brewing this past weekend with a 1 gallon test batch just to get a feel for the process,

The batch was as follows,

1lb Pale Malt (canadian 6-row)
1lb Munich Malt

Mashed @ 151*f using a BIAB method, basic sparge, lots of trub, bleh efficiency.

~5 grams Pearle hops @ 60mins
~5 grams Pearle hops @ 30 mins
~5 grams Willamette hops @ 15 mins
~5 grams Willamette hops@ flameout.

I may have gone a little heavy on the hops simply because I'm used to brewing with Northern Brewer which has higher bittering.

The big thing i'm noticing, even though the OG for the all grain batch was only 1.042 it still smells sweeter and with a greater complexity and a freshness than the last batch i did which was extract with partial mash.

The previous batch was mostly extract with a kilo of Munich malt and 250g of carastan to add complexity. It tastes a little better than my average batch (so far) but lacks the complexity and sweetness of the AG test batch

Has anybody else had the experience with something like this, or have i just been brewing with so-so extract?

Could be the extract,maybe the style of extract. But mainly,even my pm ales smell/taste cleaner to me by a lil bit. My extract beers have been good as well. But the mash makes a bit of difference either way.

Back