Anyone tried BRY-97 yeast yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So bought a packet of this at my local HBS this week only because the guys there seem to think it could be PacMan or something very close. They are pretty smart dudes and I trust their opinions. I did a bit of digging and there is nothing that confirms this is in fact PacMan but I can't think what other strain it would be. Just reading the description and knowing what most of the big breweries in the Pacific Northwest use, I can't see it comparing more to any other strain than Rogues PacMan. I did a starter of this stuff and only did 1L. Well I never had a 1L starter blow out of my growler, this one did. This stuff seems like a beast. I'm going to pitch into a American Stout today and see what it does. If the starter is any indication, I'm definatley putting a blow off tube on this thing. The pic was less than 48 hrs in the starter btw and the temp was about 66-68F. The LHBS has a beer going with this and I'll post more when I ask what they think of the finished product. I'll also be trying another run of this in a blonde next week, same recipe I have used PacMan in before so hopefully I'll be able to compare.

This is a pic of what it did in a 1L starter in under 48 hours. Never had a yeast do this before.

image-2761329306.jpg

I think that yeast is similar to the American Ale II yeast from Wyeast (WY1272). I've had to use blow-off tubes with every beer that I have done with WY1272 and BRY-97. A couple of them were even 1.050-ish beers, not even big ones.....

I posted in one of the other threads a bit, but to sum it up:

This yeast has a tendency (for many people, but not all) to be a slow starter. Both my father and myself have used it with slow starts, but he has also used it with no delay to taking off. My batch of porter took almost 3 days to show any major activity.

Mine flocced out really well. My transfer to secondary was probably the cleanest I have ever had. The first pint off the keg was super-clean as well. This was the first time I did not have to pour out any beer from the beginning of a keg, but your results may vary. It may have a tendency to reduce hop flavor as well, so I used it in a low hop style, a porter, and it is a neutral tasting yeast that served that purpose well.

Back