I challenge YOU!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyDaze

Reaction score
I challenge you to find me a websits or any other resource for that matter that shows images of hops by variety. There has been a lot of talk on this board about identifying unknown hops. There seems to be a common answer of comparing it to identified hops. Well this is fine and dandy as long as that information is available. I have found it very difficult to find this informaion. The hops you get from the store are all crushed so I cant tell by that....and smell? well I'll leave that to the pros; Im not going to pretend to ID a hop by the smell.

Obviously I have come accross a supply of hops that are unidentified and would really like to compare and contrast to see what I come up with. The best I have found so far is this page...but its only Oregon hops Oregon Hop Commission Agriculture Brewing Beer Farming Hops Varieties Now, the hops Im trying to ID are growing in Oregon so its likely they are on that list, but I am trying to be thorough....thanks all!

National Clonal Germplasm Repository (Corvallis, Oregon) : <H1>NCGR-Corvallis - <I>Humulus</I> Germplasm</H1> (a few pics & lots of leads)
Hopunion CBS LLC. - Hop Variety Characteristics Booklet (no pics, but lots of info, like aroma & looks)
Hop Variety Handbook (it appears if you get the Average Alpha Acid Percent you can norrow it down)
USDA Named Hop Variety Descriptions (huge listing of hops)
American Hop Museum (Very Good site with pics)

It helps to search Humulus insteed of hop.

Hope it helps. You got me curious now, lol, there are 100s if not thousands of species it looks like.

Sounds like a good wiki project. Pictures of leaves, sidearm development, cone positioning and clustering on the bines, and of course, cones.

Back