Base malt to replace dark malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNBrews

Reaction score
I'd like to do a partial mash version of a Midwest oatmeal stout kit. What would be a good base malt to replace a portion of the Breiss dark LME in the following recipe?

Here's the recipe:

6 lbs. Breiss Dark LME
8 oz. Rolled Oats
4 oz. Chocolate Malt
4 oz. Roasted Barley
1oz Fuggles (4.5%AA) for 60min
Wyeast 1084

I'd use crisp marris otter or similar english pale ale for the base malt and up the chocolate and roasted barley to half pound each. Also, i'd up the oats to a pound or even more. Last, I'd add a half pound crystal 80. That gets you close to Jamil's oatmeal stout and many other similar recipes.

I'd use crisp marris otter or similar english pale ale for the base malt and up the chocolate and roasted barley to half pound each. Also, i'd up the oats to a pound or even more. Last, I'd add a half pound crystal 80. That gets you close to Jamil's oatmeal stout and many other similar recipes.

That sounds about right. One of my club members swears by toasting the oats in the oven before using them in an oatmeal stout. I haven't tried it, however I can tell you that he is a bjcp judge and has won a few of the "big" competitions with his stouts...

I'm figuring on using the small 3.3lb package of dark LME, so does this sound like a good recipe?

3.30 lb Dark Liquid Extract
2.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt
0.50 lb Roasted Barley

Beer smith calculates OG to be ~1.047

It seems like I'm using not very much base malt compared to the the others. Does that sound right?

Also, what's the toasting regimen for the oats (temp, time)?

As for the toasting, I honestly don't know. he is a "Big wig" in our club and I honestly don't get a lot of time to talk to him. If you want, i can do some quick conversions on the oatmeal stout we did a few weeks ago and give you an extract version

Also, I need to know if you are doing full boils or if you are topping off your beers in your fermenter to the desired final volume with water. That will effect your hop utilization during the boil.

I'll be dong a full volume boil, but with a late extract addition. I hope to have a wort concentration of ~1.027 during the boil, using just the sugars extracted from the partial mash, then adding the 3.3lb of dark LME to the boil for the last 15mins.

I'd love to get the recipe you guys used for your oatmeal stout, thanks man! :D I do all grain batches too, so you could give me both recipes if you'd like. I've just got a few lbs of malt extract sitting in the fridge that I want to use up before it gets too old.

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 10/10/2008
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 44.44 %
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 17.78 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.89 %