Whirlpool 8.9 cu ft owners...drilling into the inside top ledge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
See the pic below. On this freezer, can I safely screw this bracket onto the ledge in the corners? How deep could I go? It doesn't seem likely that there would be any coolant lines up there, but I'd feel better if someone told me they'd done this safely.

corner.jpg

instead of risking it you could just use silicone caulk as an adhesive to attach the collar. That is what i used and it isn't going anywhere.

Use silicone. Better yet mount the collar to the lid so the lines and shanks lift out of the way for keg loading and you wont have to lift over the collar.

It's not getting mouted on the lid. It's already perfectly sized and built for the bottom.

I was planning on using silicone (or whatever) caulking to secure it to the freezer anyway, but wasn't sure if that alone would really hold it in place if I smacked it with a full keg or opened the lid too fast/far. A couple of screws in the corners would really help secure it, but I'd not want to do it unless I was sure it was safe. Seems like a popular freezer, so I was hoping someone else had already done that and gotten away with it.

I think it would be ok to put a couple small screws in there, as I don't see why they would put a coolant line right next to the edge, but I don't want you to listen to me and mess up your keezer.

What you could do is very carefully drill a small hole underneath where the bracket will sit, and look in and see if you can see any lines, then once you're sure there's nothing there, put the screws in.

...I don't see why they would put a coolant line right next to the edge, but I don't want you to listen to me and mess up your keezer.

That's what I think. And looking at the top, that upper part just looks like plastic molding sitting on top of the freezer body. Hard to imagine anything in there.

But still, I'm hoping a Whirpool owner will give me a thumbs up.

I wish I could offer a positive answer to your question. BobbyM did a 3 part conversion video on youTube with this model and he mounted a 3 way secondary regulator into the side wall right at the very top of the freezer compartment. Maybe he'll chime in.

Where did you get the nice corner braces for your collar? I want to build a collar too and those look real handy for making sure you have a 90 degree joint and a cleat to screw through.

Where did you get the nice corner braces for your collar? I want to build a collar too and those look real handy for making sure you have a 90 degree joint and a cleat to screw through.

Just at home depot. I'm sure any hardware store would have something just like it. I don't know how necessary it is, but it certainly gives me the impression of being sturdier having a brace in the corner. Now if I can screw it to the bottom, so much the better. :)

It would just suck to find out that you nicked a coolant line just because you wanted the color to be a bit more stable. People have been using silicone caulk for a while and it doesn't sound like it has trouble holding these collars down.

It would just suck to find out that you nicked a coolant line just because you wanted the color to be a bit more stable. People have been using silicone caulk for a while and it doesn't sound like it has trouble holding these collars down.

I'm sure you're right.

Is there a specific silicone caulk that works well for this purpose. I was at Menards today buying primer and paint for the collar, and I also looked for caulk. The "caulk aisle" had, I dunno, 320 different kinds of sealant and caulk.

I actually fled the store weeping like a girl.

I'm sure you're right.

Is there a specific silicone caulk that works well for this purpose. I was at Menards today buying primer and paint for the collar, and I also looked for caulk. The "caulk aisle" had, I dunno, 320 different kinds of sealant and caulk.

I actually fled the store weeping like a girl.

That's a good point. Truth be told, I'm not exactly sure what kind of silicone caulk I'm going to need to get this job done.

I'm going to the Depot right now to get some 2x4 redwood.

Is the final product visible yet...?

I'm dying to see some more pics. I'm thinking this is the model Keezer I want.

I posted a couple in another thread, but here you go. No drip tray yet. I've just been laying a towel on the floor. (SWMBO just loves that.) I didn't drill into the ledge after all. I used the GE 100% Silicone caulk mentioned earleir. And it's pretty darn solid.

This seems to be a really nice size by the way. Easily fits 5 cornies along with the CO2 bottle (5#) and regulator on the hump. Once you get past the 8.8 size, the thing starts looking huge in the room.

keezer.jpg

keezer1.jpg

Back