Time for fermentation to begin - Draught (Coopers)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich1852

Reaction score
I just started my third batch today. First was a Beligian Ale, then a Wheat and now a Draught. The wheat had a ferocious fermentation... I pitched the yeast about 9 hours ago...and still nothing....anyone have any experience with a draught (Coopers is the one I am using)? It is right about 24 degrees C. Just curious. The wheat was real quick, but the Belgin Ale seemed quicker than this.

Some Yeast take up to 72 hours to begin fermenting. There are alot of variables, ie. pitching temps, temp of the room your fermenter is sitting in, number of Yeast cells, etc. Just be patient, unless you pitched the Yeast into a very hot Wort or the Yeast was dead to begin with, you should be fine.

It all depends on the recipie, yeast, and temperature. It can take as long as 3 days to get going, and it'll be just fine.

BTW: the stickies at the top of this cetion of the forum has lots of useful info, as does the wiki. Grab yourself a homebrew, and read up a little to pass the time.:)

Thanks, this helps. I think part of it may be that the wheat beer I did....it was ferocious...and pretty quick. I just put a little pressure (squeezed the sides) on the fermenter and noticed the bubbler move, so it musty be pretty close.

I've been messing with the Coopers pre-hopped kits and my first batch (lager) fermented like made after just an hour. The second batch (Bitter) didn't show signs of airlock bubbling until ~18 hours later. I still have concerns about that batch (lack of krausen so far) but I really wouldn't be concerned about activity just yet.

And of course keep an eye on that sticky thread. Lots of valuable info there.

Back