gravities were way off...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirk0rebreg

Reaction score
did an abita purple haze clone and just bottled it yesterday...according to the instructions the gravities should have been OG 1.042 and FG 1.013, mine came out at OG 1.048 and FG 1.006 :confused:

left it in primary for 2 weeks and bottled...any ideas?

What temperature was the sample you read? It's pretty hard to change the gravity of an extract kit, especially that drastically.

Are you sure on your volumes? SG can change if you were over or under on your volume.

Did the kit come with yeast? If you used your own yeast (Nottingham comes to mind) you could easily end up with a lower final gravity. I agree with the above posters that (probably) either your water volume was off or you didn't adjust your hydrometer reading correctly for temp (or both).

I can see the OG being off if your voume was initially a little off... BUT, the FG seems really low, especially considering that you may have been HIGHER on the OG than anticipated.

Thanks for the heads up on the gravities. I redid the math and you are right the OG should be 1.048. The FG is a little lower than expected. It will be fine though. It will be a little less sweet and a little more alcohol.

Should be fine.

Forrest

Austinhomebrew said:
Thanks for the heads up on the gravities. I redid the math and you are right the OG should be 1.048. The FG is a little lower than expected. It will be fine though. It will be a little less sweet and a little more alcohol.

Should be fine.

Forrest

wow right on that is good to know...thanks for all the replies

now i did make a stupid mistake, let me know if this would make any difference at all...i put the airlock in the fermenting bucket and then proceeded to fill it up with vodka, i mistakenly did not have the little cap over the airlock and some vodka did get in the fermenting bucket, would that have anything to do with it at all?

maltMonkey said:
Did the kit come with yeast? If you used your own yeast (Nottingham comes to mind) you could easily end up with a lower final gravity. I agree with the above posters that (probably) either your water volume was off or you didn't adjust your hydrometer reading correctly for temp (or both).

i used the white labs hefeweizen that was suggested with the purchase of the kit...

Yeah, I've done that all the time before. I was mostly when I'd pick up the bucket with the airlock in it (the changing shape would mess with the pressure), so now I take it out whenever I lug my primary around.

Back