Is sodium a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgalak

Reaction score
I'm trying to learn about water chemistry for when I start doing AG, and so playing around with the Bru'n water calculator. I want to brew a beer that is under 6 SRM, so using his "Yellow Balanced" desired profile.

My water, while generally quite soft, has a sodium of 27ppm. The profile calls for 5ppm. It's the only item I can't get close to the profile.

Is this likely to be a problem? Other than diluting with distilled water, is there a way to get rid of sodium? Or can this just be ignored?

Thanks.

I'm trying to learn about water chemistry for when I start doing AG, and so playing around with the Bru'n water calculator. I want to brew a beer that is under 6 SRM, so using his "Yellow Balanced" desired profile.

My water, while generally quite soft, has a sodium of 27ppm. The profile calls for 5ppm. It's the only item I can't get close to the profile.

Is this likely to be a problem? Other than diluting with distilled water, is there a way to get rid of sodium? Or can this just be ignored?

Thanks.

That amount of sodium is absolutely fine.

Yeah, not a problem to have the sodium at 27 ppm. Sodium is not really detrimental to flavor until its in the 100+ range and there is also significant sulfate content. In general, keeping sodium at less than about 40 to 50 ppm is nearly flavorless.

Back