Todays Brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A nice mild.

Mild used to be The session beer in most pubs around here up untill maybe 15 years ago. It's now seen as a specialty beer and is not served in all pubs.

It is borderline extinct as far as a regular beer goes.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Mild Mannered Ale
Brewer: Orfy
Asst Brewer: the dogs
Style: Mild
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 30.50 L
Estimated OG: 1.037 SG
Estimated Color: 21.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 76.9 %
0.75 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 Grain 19.2 %
0.15 kg Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 SRMGrain 3.8 %
30.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (45 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
30.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Batch Sparge.
Total Grain Weight: 3.90 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Step Add 10.18 L of water at 80 C 70 C 45 min

Notes:
------
A classic Nothern dark mild like my Granddad used to drink.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks tasty. Not to go off topic, if the mild is not longer the session beer then what is the session beer in most pubs these days?

Carling Lager or Teltleys Bitter or other such carp.
Most ales sold in pubs or of the English bitter/pale ale style.
Most people are lager drinkers or bitter drinkers mixed with some stout drinkers.
The average pub goer would not know what a porter is.

Ó Flannagáin said:
All you recipes look great, Orfy. I just ordered a lb of fuggles so I can do some of them! Just gotta find a big bag of marris otter now.

Once you start using it I think you'll probably stick with it.

orfy said:
Once you start using it I think you'll probably stick with it.

I've used it before and I've loved it, but I just had easy, cheap opportunities to get bags of american pale, pils and wheat for $40 (including shipping). Cheapest I've been priced to get a bag of marris for was $75 (including shipping). I'm hoping on my travels to run across a brewery that will sell me a sack for price.

I'm lucky, it's the base malt most breweries use and HBS sell around here. I still have to pay £25 for it though from the HBS. I've had some from breweries for £10 a sack.

The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.

It's a shame we don't see more Milds. I've converted more than one craftbrew hater with a Mild. A couple years back, I took a cornie to a club meeting and somebody's GF asked about it. She didn't drink homebrew, but I got her to try some. And she had a pint & another. Her BF came by later that evening to get the recipe.

A very easy brew to do.

I'm finding now that I can brew whilst doing other things.
The brewing no longer needs to be the main activity.

pict0009wg0.jpg

*raises hand*

Orfy, what's the primary difference between a mild and a bitter? The recipe looks very similar to your Boddington's clone, but with a mite less MO. Would I be correct in saying then that a mild is a lower OG bitter?

Mild's are quite tasty. Too bad they aren't as common as they used to be. Sounds like you got a good recipe there. Let us know how it turns out.

RadicalEd said:
*raises hand*

Orfy, what's the primary difference between a mild and a bitter? The recipe looks very similar to your Boddington's clone, but with a mite less MO. Would I be correct in saying then that a mild is a lower OG bitter?

Yes they tend to be towards 3% and a little sweeter.
Less bitterness. A lot of taste for a little beer.

If you notice there is no 60 minute or 0 minute hop additions and the IBUs are lower.

You'll find a lot of english ales using MO, crystal, maybe a little chocolate.
Then ussing fuggles and EKG and one or two other hops.

Back