Crawfish Pot Turned Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryodom

Reaction score
Ok so here's the deal. I'm going to make the move to all grain this weekend but I need a bigger pot than my 6 gallon that we used for extract. I have a 10 gallon crawfish pot that's a little dirty smelling since I rarely use it and just for boiling seafood. I'd like to be able to use it but I feel like I should treat it before using it. Anyone ever done this before?

I'd boil a batch of just plain water in it and then use it for brewing. The boiling session will clean out anything you don't want in the pot.

Let it soak with oxyclean for a couple hours. Rinse it out and then boil an entire batch of just water. Then you def should be ready to go.
Who knows ... might add some flayor ;-)

Or get some Powdered Brewers Wash. A soak in hot water with a few Tbs. of PBW will do wonders followed by scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend. I've used my 8 gallon pot for turkey frys and cajun boils and you can't tell.

Is it aluminum, Not trying to start the big debate, if so i would give it a little extra cleaning, because it is porous and can harbor oils in the metal and the oil can come out during your beer making and kill the head retention on your final product.

Cheers

Hey guys. Thanks for all the replies. I posted then I crashed on the couch.

Yes it is aluminum and I can't believe I forgot to post that part.

Mine's aluminum and I just give it a couple of hot water-n-soap scrubs. It comes out squeeky clean each time.

Wild

wop31 said:
Is it aluminum, Not trying to start the big debate, if so i would give it a little extra cleaning, because it is porous and can harbor oils in the metal and the oil can come out during your beer making and kill the head retention on your final product.

Cheers

My opinion also. I used my s/s brew pot for crawfish, then made sure it was super clean before I did my next brew. Worked out fine, but I'd rather not use my equipment for dual use. Got a 100 quart aluminum pot for my crawfish though.

Didn't realize we had people that new what crawfish were. FYI, like mini lobsters, but much better (if you use a LOT of Zatarans and cayenne)

I use a lobster pot for brewing and...well...steaming lobster (we have it shipped from Maine). I just give it a good scrubbing with dish soap and it's fine.

Brewer3401 said:
Didn't realize we had people that new what crawfish were. FYI, like mini lobsters, but much better (if you use a LOT of Zatarans and cayenne)
I believe crawfish (crayfish/crawdads) are native to most of the US, I know at least we have them in the streams in Northern Ohio. However I don't think there are eaten much except in the Bayou area.
As for cleaning the pot, I think a good cleaning with PBW or Oxyclean should remove nearly any trace of fish. Making your first brew a strong stout should ensure there is no chance for a off flavor to be noticed.
Craig

Yes you are right, along with most freshwater mollusks and amphibians. Just saw a crawdad in Eagle Creek yesterday. Took it as a sign of good stream health.

CBBaron said:
I believe crawfish (crayfish/crawdads) are native to most of the US, I know at least we have them in the streams in Northern Ohio. However I don't think there are eaten much except in the Bayou area.
As for cleaning the pot, I think a good cleaning with PBW or Oxyclean should remove nearly any trace of fish. Making your first brew a strong stout should ensure there is no chance for a off flavor to be noticed.
Craig

Only continent crawfish do not naturally occur is Africa.
Not moving there anytime soon. The air freight would break me.

orfy said:
I've seen them in streams in Scotland.

Am I right in thinking they will only frequent clean water.

There is NO clean water in Louisiana.........at all.
They live in marshes, which is pretty stagnant water.
They hang out in ditches, canals, and the like.
Some people have farms that raise them.

When i lived in Louisiana we had them living in our back yard. Most places in LA, if you dig a couple feet down you hit water, that is good enough for them to live in I believe.

Back