Specialty IPA: Black IPA Black Seas (American Black Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atom

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
65ish
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
Slightly roasty Centennial/Cascade heavy Black IPA
Brewed this a few times now and it has turned out great. Finishes at about 7.5% ABV. (Grain bill assumes 75% efficiency)

Grains:
12 lbs 2-Row
12.0 oz Carafa Special III
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal 60
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine

Hops:
1.25 oz Columbus - First Wort
1.00 oz Centennial - 15 min
1.00 oz Cascade -10 min
1.00 oz Centennial - 5 min
1.00 oz Cascade -0 min

Dry Hop (7 Days)
1.00 oz Centennial
1.00 oz Cascade

Mash at 152F for 60min. Sparge to 7 Gal boil volume.

Black-Seas-v4.jpg

2012-11-21 19.41.41.jpg

I like it. Nothing too crazy. Looks very balanced, dark and excellent. Hard to mess something up with Columbus, Centennial and Cascade!

I've since done it with a citra dry hop (2 oz to replace the centennial/cascade)...i think that keg went even faster.

I dry hopped 7 days w/Citra & bottled it last weekend. Finished at 1.015. I drank a hydrometer cylinder full. It was already amazing. I'm probably gonna let it condition another week before I .......wait just now opened one. Needs another week but I can tell it's gonna be good. Kinda reminds me of a Founders porter right now.
Thanks again.

Atoms Black IPA.jpg

Just scaled this down for a 3 gallon batch. I'll be brewing it on Saturday or Sunday. I will follow up with my results!

Just scaled this down for a 3 gallon batch. I'll be brewing it on Saturday or Sunday. I will follow up with my results!

let me know how it goes...to match my current style of brewing i might combine the 15 and 10 min additions to a single 10 min and the 5 and 0 to a single flameout and do a 30 min whirlpool before chilling.

let me know how it goes...to match my current style of brewing i might combine the 15 and 10 min additions to a single 10 min and the 5 and 0 to a single flameout and do a 30 min whirlpool before chilling.

Will do, atom. I had to tweak the initial bittering hop addition to get it to ~65 IBU's but I'm keeping the 15, 10, 5, and 0 additions. Not a whole lot of variance there since they're all late additions.

Back