Upright freezer on it's side?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendesm

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone converted an upright freezer so that it can sit on it's side (back)? I know the compressor will have to be remounted somehow, just wanted to know if anyone had done this before and if so how successful it was.

Chest freezers in the area are hard to come by at the right size for a descent price around here.

Thanks.

-Mario

Too far from me, for the fuel + rental (van/truck) on top of used unit, it ends up being almost the same price as new one. But there are plenty of upright units around me, which motivated the question.

I'm in no hurry to get one, so I'll keep looking on CL.

Thanks for the reply =)

The compressor must remain upright or the motor inside will be oil starved and will fail. This means you will need to rotate the compressor 90 degrees, not a simple feat inside the freezer.

mendesm said:
Has anyone converted an upright freezer so that it can sit on it's side (back)? I know the compressor will have to be remounted somehow, just wanted to know if anyone had done this before and if so how successful it was.

Why not just use it as an upright? They make good fermenters and keezers, I think and upright is a little easier to load and unload.

Back