Calculating SG of adjuncts/sugars for boil additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshstokes122

Reaction score
I've had a few batches where I've added somethings such as juice or juice concentrate but I wasn't sure in planning the recipes what my target OG should be. This was due to not knowing how to account for these things.

Can anyone post how, or links to how, to account for these things?

Thanks!

Look at the nutrition label and it will tell you how much sugar is in the juice per serving. Then you can just add that much sugar into you brew software and it will calculate it for you.

For example I just looked at some apple juice. on the label is says there is 28 grams of sugar for an 8 oz serving. So for each 8 ounces you add then you add 28g of sugar to your recipe.

beergolf said:
Look at the nutrition label and it will tell you how much sugar is in the juice per serving. Then you can just add that much sugar into you brew software and it will calculate it for you.

For example I just looked at some apple juice. on the label is says there is 28 grams of sugar for an 8 oz serving. So for each 8 ounces you add then you add 28g of sugar to your recipe.

Sounds simple enough. Not that I'm that worried about it, but is this an exact method or just a pretty close approximation?

Also, kind of along the same lines, how would I go about calculating abv for a beer that I added some juice to during fermentation? I would imagine the easy way would be to simply take gravity readings before and after the juice addition and add up the total abv, but I didn't do that for a recently bottled batch.

Back