Cask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAught

Reaction score
Anyone here use Casks? Seems to be a cheaper alternative to kegging. Any cons to using a cask?

Probably the only con is shelf life. You're looking at about a week in cask. If you got friends or a big
thirst you should be ok.

Or, instead of spending 90 bucks on that, you could pick up a low pressure propane regulator and some hose barb fittings at your local home improvement store for $12 or so. That's how I run the breather on my "cask" ales. It supplies 1/2 a psi of gas, so it's enough to keep a blanket on it, but not enough to really carbonate the beer.

However, both of those require a CO2 bottle, regulator, and keg/cask, so you're pretty much looking at a kegging system right there. Add a real beer engine for $200 or more, and you're behind the curve. So you can see that you're not really looking at a cheap way into the bulk storage world. My advice is to scour ebay / craigslist. Folks are always upgrading or getting out of the hobby and you can pick up a complete kegging set up for cheap.

I have a Pin cask and use it about every month or 2 and I can tell you that the cost of the cask and the sundries are much higher than what I had to spend on setting my kegerator up. You can get cornys for about $30 a pop and my one pin cask was $150. Its also a lot harder to serve out of a cask than a traditional kegerator. Also, when we tap a cask, it is consumed within the day because letting oxygen into the cask will destroy the beer in no time.

Chromados

Back