You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminds me of my wife when she made her 1st batch. The next day,visible fermentation began. I pointed this out to her,She comes up & looks at the airlock bubbling away. She clenches her little fists,& says "yes! yes! Go baby! Go baby!". I was so proud at that moment because she did it all. I just told/showed her what to do.

When you brew 15gal of beer, are not satisfied with the efficiencies, and immediately plan on brewing again the next week to create your desired batches.

Did this recently with my wit 1.0 and 2.0. As the keggle was draining off I was putting in my new order through AHS. Still didn't hit my numbers on 2.0 (1.043 vs 1.048) but an improvement nonetheless!

Segue - you realize getting your own grain mill will DRASTICALLY help your efficiency ... if you can only convince SWMBO ...

When you dont brew and you miss it. Absence makes the brewers heart grow fonder.:D Then you come back with a brewing vengance!

Or.. When you pour a very good commercial beer and later you wife trys and asks "Did you make that?", then you just grin and say no. I also have a step-dad that had first tried a NewGlarus spotted cow offered from my brother in law. And after drinking it he says "This tastes like one of your homebrews" I was pretty flattered, think he was refering to some of my wheat beers I gave him maybe. Or else he was (really) like... I dont like this ****, give me a Bud Select55.

I will have to...

When I get really excited about a research project because it's all about how to write my business plan for my brewery. Just completed part of it and it was very informational and exciting. And since I spent all day working on it, I get to brew today!

Talking to the wife about getting a chest freezer for a ferm chamber, and she replies, yeah it will be more consistent during the summer for my hefe.. I love her (and I'm getting my chest freezer next week!)

When you set alarms to go off every 3 hours in the night just to check on new brews to make sure they don't need anything :tank:

...You have an iPhone group that looks like this, or worse.

image-761861117.jpg

You're about to toss that empty salsa jar into the recycle bin and then it hits you: "this is the perfect size for storing washed yeast!"

Had some con queso left yesterday,& let the boys finish it when the younger one came home from school. Made sure I told them to rinse it out & give it to me when they finished it. That makes 3 more for saving some of the WY3056 I'm using now.

can't get the smell out of marinara jars, even after repeated washings.

I did start collecting soup containers from Chinese restaurant deliveries. not really for storage, but for separating hop additions during brew days. keep lid on until scheduled times.

not sure if hops are really bad for dogs, but it's easy to be safe

can't get the smell out of marinara jars, even after repeated washings.

I did start collecting soup containers from Chinese restaurant deliveries. not really for storage, but for separating hop additions during brew days. keep lid on until scheduled times.

not sure if hops are really bad for dogs, but it's easy to be safe
That all depends on if you consider "deadly" to be bad or not (I do).

There's an entire thread about it.

Hops are def bad for dogs. They can get sick or even die from ingesting them. @ grognerd-I have a doggy snack jar that I hope I can soak the fake steak smell out of. It's just the right size too.

I've read through that thread before and there is some dissent.

as far as MY health, "may not be safe" is no cause for alarm and reason for endless mockery. the whole plastic fermenter endocrine disruptor debate is an example

as far as the Howdy's health, "may not be safe" = "definitely not safe" and I will do whatever is necessary to avoid the possibility of the slightest chance of coming close to finding out the effects of hops on my dog.

I've let my veterinarian know that it's a possibility Howdy could get ahold of some hops and, though they've never heard of the dangers, they are making sure they know what might need to be done just in case.

When you have just voluntarily sprayed yourself 23 times with your own homebrew. The bottles where over-carbed and I needed to empty them before they exploded. Emptying them down into a food grade bucket worked, but I got sprayed in the face a little every time I opened a bottle.

On the up side, I now smell fantastic. :)

When you have just voluntarily sprayed yourself 23 times with your own homebrew. The bottles where over-carbed and I needed to empty them before they exploded. Emptying them down into a food grade bucket worked, but I got sprayed in the face a little every time I opened a bottle.

On the up side, I now smell fantastic. :)

You could have stuck them in the fridge to stop the yeast. Less risk of infection, but the beer might not be to style.

Erroneous said:
You could have stuck them in the fridge to stop the yeast. Less risk of infection, but the beer might not be to style.

That doesn't completely stop the yeast. It just slows them down. When I back sweeten and bottle still, there is noticeable carbonation after a month in the fridge. Those yeast are persistent buggers.

You know you're a homebrewer when you cut your finger and without thinking pick up your spray bottle of starsan and sanitise yourself...:smack:

When you go into a hardware store just looking for some screws and spend another hour looking around thinking, "Do i need anything for my brew setup?"

Back