Super Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tralmix

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting a Belgian White and used a White Labs Belgian Wit strain. I did a yeast starter and it started to take off after only a few hours. I've been in the primary for a week now and it's still going strong. My OG was 1.067 and I'm at 1.027 now.

My question is, should I transfer into the secondary since its been a week, or let it go? I don't want any off flavors from sitting on the yeast too long.

Thanks.

I'm currently fermenting a Belgian White and used a White Labs Belgian Wit strain. I did a yeast starter and it started to take off after only a few hours. I've been in the primary for a week now and it's still going strong. My OG was 1.067 and I'm at 1.027 now.

My question is, should I transfer into the primary since its been a week, or let it go? I don't want any off flavors from sitting on the yeast too long.

Thanks.

I assume you're talking about transferring to a secondary (clearing vessel)? If so, wait until fermentation is over before moving the beer. You won't get off flavors from sitting on the yeast "too long" (a week is FAR from too long) anyway, but if the beer isn't done fermenting, you don't want to move it no matter how long it's been.

I just used this yeast a while ago and had a very vigorous fermentation...had to change the airlock 4 times in the first 18 hours. Had a thick krausen for about 3 weeks. Big sulfur smell too, which slowly disappeared. I ended up keeping it in the primary for 37 days, until everything settled out. Haven't tasted it yet, still bottle conditioning.

I have a Belgian Double Wit sitting in the closet. It slowed down enough for me to bring it upstairs to ramp up the temp since the OG is high. It have it in an 8 gallon carboy and the krausen has been touching the top all week.

My question is, should I transfer into the secondary since its been a week, or let it go? I don't want any off flavors from sitting on the yeast too long.

Thanks.

That's a big witbier! The yeast is just taking some time to eat through all those sugars. +1 on Yooper's advice to leave your beers in primary until they are done with active fermentation.

Latest posts

Back