Stopped Fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashTun-Kutcher

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So i know there are tons of threads about stopped fermentation but i wanted to get your guys' opinion on my specific case.

I brewed a Honey-Blonde ale on Saturday, and threw 12oz of raw honey in the glass carboy before throwing the wort in. I pitched two 11g packets of nottingham yeast after that and fermentation started in about 6 hrs. It is now Tuesday and theres no fermentation at all. Do you think my fermentation is all over? Ive never had one this quick.

Starting gravity: 1.040
Gravity as of now (tuesday): 1.016
About 3.2 abv.

Is it really time for me to rack it to secondary or let it hangout in the primary for another week?

Thanks,

Jake

jake, just let it sit in the primary. don't worry about a secondary fermenter in this situation unless you have a specific reason to do so (dry hops, adding fruit, etc). there's no reason why the yeast couldn't have dropped it to the final gravity this quick, but don't be fooled into thinking that fermentation is "over", after the sugar is eaten and alcohol is produced, the yeast will continue to work and clean up by products and flocculate out. you will get a cleaner, brighter beer if you allow it to sit in the primary for another week or so. i normally do 10-14 days, sometimes more in the primary and then go right to keg or bottle.

Seems kind of quick actually, but it is what it is.

If you do not need this fermenter I'd leave it all in place, i.e. forget about the "secondary", leave it in the original fermenter for another week or so.

Thanks for answering so quickly.

I usually throw my beer into a secondary for clearing purposes for like 3 days, after it has been in the primary for a week or two.

Anyways, it shall stay in the primary!

Thanks!

I pitched two 11g packets of nottingham yeast

This would explain why it fermented so quickly. That is a serious overpitch. Not a big deal I guess, but would explain the quick ferment.

I usually throw my beer into a secondary for clearing purposes for like 3 days, after it has been in the primary for a week or two.

This is not necessary. Beers clears by the yeast falling to the bottom. Moving the beer to another vessel is not accomplishing anything besides stirring things up and exposing it to oxygen. Just leave it in the original fermenter for 10-14 days and you are fine.

Lets let go of the primary/secondary language everyone. It only serves to confuse people. Wort goes into a fermenter and ferments.

Everyone has their ways. Its pointless to argue it. I have made great beer using a secondary and i bet you have made great beer using a primary.

"To Each His Own"

Thanks for the help guys

Back