Sterile jars of wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmdeeess

Reaction score
Just picked up a case of half pint mason jars, going to try yeast washing this weekend.

Another idea that I had was to keep jars of sterile wort on hand for making starters. My plan is to boil up some DME and water, fill the jars to the brim, seal them up, then put them in a large pot, cover them with water and boil for 15 minutes or so. Let them cool, keep them in the fridge, and not have to do anything but bring out a jar and let it come to room temp when I want a starter.

Will this work, or do I need a pressure cooker to make sure they are sanitized completely?

I think your method will be fine, but 8oz of sterile wort means you'll be cracking open a lot of jars when it's time to make a starter.

I actually stored a bunch of sterile wort in growlers once. It was great being able to uncap, pitch, shake, and have a yeast starter already going. I boiled the wort, sanitized the growlers, gradually warmed the growlers in the steam of the boiling wort, and then poured the hot wort into the growlers. When the wort cooled in the growlers it formed an airtight seal.

I disagree. Wort doesn't have a low enough pH to be safely canned with a water bath. You definitely need a pressure canner to do that and keep the canned jars at room temperature safely.

My mistake, I've actually got pint jars.

I found this page that outlines the process for both water bath and pressure cooker. If I'm keeping them stored in the fridge, will that negate the worries about the water bath and storing at room temps?

My mistake, I've actually got pint jars.

I found this page that outlines the process for both water bath and pressure cooker. If I'm keeping them stored in the fridge, will that negate the worries about the water bath and storing at room temps?

If you store them in the fridge, no worries!

One thing to consider is you could make the wort, and freeze it in juice "cans" and store in ziploc bags, and avoid the whole canning thing.

If you're canning, one of the advantages is not having to store it in the fridge or freezer. If you're storing in the fridge or freezer, no need to can! You'd just be making more work for yourself.

I disagree. Wort doesn't have a low enough pH to be safely canned with a water bath. You definitely need a pressure canner to do that and keep the canned jars at room temperature safely.

Help me understand...
I boiled 5 gallons of wort (DME & Water), I added a VERY small amount of hops. At the end of the boil, I didn't cool the wort, drained straight into sanitized quart jars and put the lids on while still hot. As the wort cooled, the jars all sealed up nicely. I have them stored in my basement. I have used probably 12 of these and not noticed any problems. Am I missing something?

Ed

If you store them in the fridge, no worries!

One thing to consider is you could make the wort, and freeze it in juice "cans" and store in ziploc bags, and avoid the whole canning thing.

If you're canning, one of the advantages is not having to store it in the fridge or freezer. If you're storing in the fridge or freezer, no need to can! You'd just be making more work for yourself.

Excellent advice from another Michigander, thanks. I'm only going to do 4 pints for now as an experiment, I figure 57 grams of DME per pint, topped off with water, sealed and boiled should be good. The pressure cooker will be my next purchase so I can save fridge space for beer.

Help me understand...
I boiled 5 gallons of wort (DME & Water), I added a VERY small amount of hops. At the end of the boil, I didn't cool the wort, drained straight into sanitized quart jars and put the lids on while still hot. As the wort cooled, the jars all sealed up nicely. I have them stored in my basement. I have used probably 12 of these and not noticed any problems. Am I missing something?

Ed

Well, you're not missing anything. They'll seal just fine. But they aren't 100% guaranteed to not have microbes. Most aren't dangerous, but botulism is. That's why you're supposed to use a pressure canner with ALL low acid foods in canner. Water bath canners are ok for some fruits, particularly jellies and jams, or even tomatoes if you add some acid. But for safe food preservation, with low acid foods, a pressure canner is the ONLY safe way.

As you know, hops have a preservative effect. I don't know how much they stop the growth of things like botulism, though. I'm glad it's been good for you, but I wouldn't chance it.

I don’t think you have worry about botulism but there are other bacteria that could survive a water bath and grow in your starter wort and ruin your beer. I would use a pressure cooker or do the freezer thing as I feel its not worth the risk of infection. I have had wort last a year in the freezer then boiled it and used it for the starter….oh yea, I never use DME for starters. I use the second runnings from my mash then boil it down to around 1.035. I can with a pressure cooker and use them when I need them.

To the OP, What do you plan to get out of yeast washing. If you are trying to separate the trub from yeast it is pointless because you will be adding the yeast to a new beer with…well, trub. If you are doing an acid wash to clean the yeast then you would be better off buying new yeast.

I agree with this to a point. you can can it with a water bath for a reeeeeally long time and it "should" be okay. if some sort of acid were introduced you could do it faster, but that wouldn't make for a tasty wort, but it might end up a yeast energizer, no?
Help me understand...

Ed
The method you're describing would probably be fine for the short term. however, as Yooper decribed, the pH comes into play here. now if you took boiling wort and placed it into sterilized (not sanitized, i mean steriled as in zero bacteria) you'd likely have better results.

IMO it's a great investment for the avid homebrewer to grab a pressure cooker for this very purpose. It's an easy process once you have the tools and is one of those things you learn once and never forget.

A brief primer on pressure canning wort:
a: boil the living hell out of your mason jars! 15 minutes at full boil should do the job, longer is better.
b: take the boiling wort and fill your mason jars leaving a good 1/2-1" of headspace at the top.
c: place a NEW (i can't stress NEW hard enough) mason lid on the jar and screw on the band, but don't tighten it too much. Just put it on nice an snug. You'll realize why later on.
d: place your jars onto a rack (yes, you need the rack) in your pressure cooker (it helps to have preboiled water in the pressure cooker to speed things up) and close the lid.
e: heat the pressure cooker until that sucker is spitting out steam like there's no tomorrow and lower the flame to just above low. kind of a low-medium-low and once you are at full steam and the flame is lowered, set your timer for 15min.
f: once the timer goes off, turn the flame off and open the steam vent on the cooker and let it cool until it's silent.
g: once it's no longer hissing, carefully remove the lid and WITH TONGS remove your jars and set them on a rack to cool. They will look like they are boiling inside the jars if you did it right. That's a sign that pressure in the can is forcing it's way out of the new lid you put on and will give you an airtight seal.
h: Once these guys are cooled enough you'll hear the pressurized lids pop or ping. Once that happens you know you have an airtight can. If it doesn't pop, put it back in and pressurize again or replace the lid and try again.

That's about it. Also remember to sterilize the lids too! The bands, not so much, but definitely the lid and jars.

Any questions? lmk

This seems more complicated then it needs to be...just have a bag of dme and do a 10min boil of however much you need and make the starter...always fresh :)

This seems more complicated then it needs to be...just have a bag of dme and do a 10min boil of however much you need and make the starter...always fresh :)

Yeah, I agree! I have made real wort starters, though. When I am making a beer with a pretty big grain bill, I'll sometimes draw off extra wort just for starters. I boil it to get an OG of 1.035ish and then freeze it in a sanitized pitcher. To use, I thaw, and bring up to a boil for a minute or so to sanitize, and then cool and pitch the yeast. About the same amount of work as using DME, but a lifesaver when you're out of DME!

I pressure can my wort for fears of botulism. I'll run off a few extra quarts from a big grain bill and can it in tandem with my brewing time. It's nice to be ale to pull a jar from the basement and have a starter ready. (I have a horrible issue with patience so cooling a saucepan of wort without a mini immersion chiller just kills me) I don't remember my point, so I'm going to drink another homebrew.

I pressure can my wort for fears of botulism. I'll run off a few extra quarts from a big grain bill and can it in tandem with my brewing time. It's nice to be ale to pull a jar from the basement and have a starter ready. (I have a horrible issue with patience so cooling a saucepan of wort without a mini immersion chiller just kills me) I don't remember my point, so I'm going to drink another homebrew.

:off:
I have a new quote for my signature! Thanks! Hope you don't mind!

I don’t think you have worry about botulism but there are other bacteria that could survive a water bath and grow in your starter wort and ruin your beer. I would use a pressure cooker or do the freezer thing as I feel its not worth the risk of infection. I have had wort last a year in the freezer then boiled it and used it for the starter….oh yea, I never use DME for starters. I use the second runnings from my mash then boil it down to around 1.035. I can with a pressure cooker and use them when I need them.

To the OP, What do you plan to get out of yeast washing. If you are trying to separate the trub from yeast it is pointless because you will be adding the yeast to a new beer with…well, trub. If you are doing an acid wash to clean the yeast then you would be better off buying new yeast.

I'm trying to get a small bank of various yeasts saved up, going off of the directions in the sticky thread on yeast washing. I'd like to have jars of wort handy because it would save me a bunch of time and hassle the day before I brew if I can have a starter going in a couple of minutes instead of 45. I'd like to be able to crack open a quart of wort, a saved pint of yeast, throw them on the stir plate and be done with it.

I'm trying to get a small bank of various yeasts saved up, going off of the directions in the sticky thread on yeast washing. I'd like to have jars of wort handy because it would save me a bunch of time and hassle the day before I brew if I can have a starter going in a couple of minutes instead of 45. I'd like to be able to crack open a quart of wort, a saved pint of yeast, throw them on the stir plate and be done with it.

That's exactly what I have been doing. I take the yeast out of the fridge to let it warm to room temp then just sanitize a flask, and dump it the wort & yeast. It's been sweet, but I guess it's over :(

Do you think I could open the jars of wort that I have left and run them through a pressure cooker? Or am I gonna have to dump and start over?

Pressure canning should kill all of the botulism spores and any toxin that may be in the wort. It takes time for the toxin to generate anyway so you should be okay if you pressure can them now.

I understand what you want to do but the viability of that yeast will only be good for a few weeks. If you are washing to separate the bad yeast then you save it for a few weeks and try to build it up for a starter you will be pitching dead yeast cells, defeating the propose of washing. I guess my question was more of a suggestion in saying, why bother washing. I would just keep the yeast in one of those mason jars with a # 13 stopper and an airlock. If you want to keep yeast longer then a few weeks I would look into yeast slanting.

I pressure can my wort for fears of botulism

Again, beer wort is too acidic for botulism to grow but you do want to use a pressure cooker to kill wild yeast and bacteria....

So, saving the yeast from primary as described in the sticky thread will only allow you a couple of weeks? Seems like there are several people in that discussion that saved for much longer than that.

Are you suggesting not adding the additional water and separating the trub, instead just dump the yeast and trub into sanitized jars?

So, saving the yeast from primary as described in the sticky thread will only allow you a couple of weeks? Seems like there are several people in that discussion that saved for much longer than that.

Are you suggesting not adding the additional water and separating the trub, instead just dump the yeast and trub into sanitized jars?

I brewed this past weekend and used yeast I washed in August of last year.
My last several brews have been with washed yeast that is all over 6 months old. I followed the directions in the sticky thread to wash the yeast.

Back