Try at a Historical type Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrictionGnome

Reaction score
I am brand new here; just joined. I just brewed a recipe I cooked up for an attempt at a historical type Porter and wanted to get some opinions on it.
4 lbs. Brown Malt
2 lbs. Pale Malt
1 lbs. Smoked Malt(Rauch Malt)

2 oz. Fuggles at 60 min
1 oz. East Kent Goldings at 10 min
1 0z. East Kent Goldings at 5 min

English Ale Yeast for primary
Brettanomyces Claussenii for Secondary

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

That's A LOT of smoked malt. Personally, I wouldn't have included it in a porter recipe unless you were trying to imitate a coal porter and only in small quantities.

Also, depending on how accurate and/or drinkable you would like this, I would probably forget the brett.

For next time if you are interested, here is a 1914 Whitbread Porter that I have brewed and is pretty good: 79% pale malt, 7% brown malt, 5% black malt, and 8% sugar. I subbed the sugar for more brown malt and hopped to 35 IBU with one flavor addition at 10 min.

Welcome! :)

Bierhaus, I suspect you're thinking of the peat smoked malt. You're right that for this 1 lb would be way to much. However, FrictionGnome list the German Rauch malt which is assertive but not overwhelming. (You can use it for up to 100% of your grain bill.) So I think this will be quite nice.

New Glarus Brewing Company just released a historical English porter as part of their unplugged series that sounds quite similar to this with the brown & smoked malts & the souring. Let us know how it turns out.

Should be good, might be a bit much on the IBUs though, depending on the AA of the Fuggles.

Just an update on this the primary fermentation is over and it is now in secondary with the Brettanomyces claussenii. I am slightly worried that something is wrong with the Brett as I added it 4 days ago and I am seeing no activity.

Brett is notoriously slow. It's a matter of months, not weeks.

From what I've read (haven't done this though, so do your own due diligence) you should replace the airlock with a piece of wood dowel to allow some oxygen/air to pass as Brett likes oxygen.

Back