Possible Bottle Bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noldar

Reaction score
I have a question about possible bottle bombs.

My last batch had an SG of 1.70. I let it sit in the primary for a 6 days and siphoned it to a secondary (gravity was at 1.20 then) Let it sit in the secondary for roughly 11 days and bottled it. Gravity at bottling was about 1.15 I believe. I used a kit from Austin's Brewing which came with priming sugar and used the whole bag. The problem is that I had only 4.2 gallons of beer (had a small accident when siphoning)

Anyways, I bottled everything and tried a bottle at the 8 day mark ... and to my suprise it was fully carbonated. I have swing-tops and the sucker popped like my last batch when it was fully carbed and had a very nice head on it. I didn't think much of it (since it is stored in a warm closet ~76-78 degrees) but then I got a tad worried. I'm wondering if there is a chance that these will become bottle bombs since the fast carbonation time. I'd rather not make SWMBO's spare closet a beer/glass mess. So far there have been no gushers, just nicely carbonated beautiful beer with a pretty head on it. I'm just curious if I should move them to a safer location ... IE: tupperware storage container until they're gone.

Wewt! It's going to be a fun couple nights ;) :tank: :mug: I'll just tell SWMBO that I *have* to drink it all for safety purposes and that I also *have* to start another batch this weekend due to these saftey reasons.

Back