So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mango IIIPA. Should come in around 10%. A LHBS concocted this and Troegs did it as a scratch beer. Way over the top, AWESOME!! Gonna brew today as work is going to be rained out. Brewery is a work in progress. All the mechanics are done, now for some paint and grout and general cleaning.

Brewery1.jpg

Going to brew up a tripel with galaxy and Nelson hops in Sunday, should come out at around 9.5%

Hoegaarden clone brewed tonight. Really bad efficiency so had to BIAB sparge a lot then extend the boil.
Dropped some cascade in at flameout because why not.

Brewing a Belgian Christmas Dark Strong Ale this weekend. Been sitting on this recipe for too long and trying to squeeze it in before the holidays.

I'm planning on brewing my first Munich Helles. I have only done a couple of lagers--Czech pils and Vienna. Any opinions on whether I should do a multi step mash or just a single infusion? Basically, with modern malts is the multi step really worth it? I'm using Best Malz pilsner for the base malt.

Going to do my favorite oatmeal stout and ferment it with bottle-cultured Bell's house yeast. Then I'm going to pack it all up and put the gear away for the long winter. Maybe I'll do a lager or two between now and March and some cider if my pipeline runs low, but this is going to be the last traditional brewday for a while.

Brewing Northern Brewer's bourbon barrel porter extract kit on Sunday, my third batch. Made the yeast starter for it last night, my first, with Wyeast 1728. This is going to sit quite a while, will have vanilla added, and will be opened for my 40th birthday at the end of March. I hope it doesn't suck after waiting 5 months!

Brewed a MO cascade SMaSH. Brew day went fairly well except Mash pH. Think I will stick to acid instead of salts to control it going forward. Hit 5.6 instead of 5.4 which might not be "great" for this type of beer, but can't complain. Now if only someone can clean up for me...

Tomorrow I'm doing a Scotch Ale.
Shooting for an Og of about 10.80 or so. 17lb 2 row, 1 lb roasted barley. I'll run off the first gallon and boil it down to a pint.
Wyeast 1728.

It should be alright, I've never done a scotch ale but I've done 2 Barleywines with this yeast.

Planning on Sunday to make a brewday two weeks in a row. Hopefully this time I have the new system dialed in better. Probably will overshoot the mash temp this time...

I'm waiting on my grains to arrive via fedex. Brewing a American Amber honey tomorrow.
Been working a shutdown all this month, now its time to brew some beer and relax a little.

This is what I'm going to brew Sunday jaydlaw

10#'s us-2 row malt
8#'s vienna malt
2#'s Honey malt
2#'s Biscuit malt
5.6 oz Crystal 120
1 oz Magnum 60 min
1 oz Willamette 15 min
2 packs safale us-05

mash in 10.10 gal @167.3
sparge with 5.39 @ 168

Keep in mind that this is for a 11 gallon batch.

This is what I'm going to brew Sunday jaydlaw

10#'s us-2 row malt
8#'s vienna malt
2#'s Honey malt
2#'s Biscuit malt
5.6 oz Crystal 120
1 oz Magnum 60 min
1 oz Willamette 15 min
2 packs safale us-05

mash in 10.10 gal @167.3
sparge with 5.39 @ 168

Keep in mind that this is for a 11 gallon batch.

Similar to a 5 gal batch I made. No biscuit, and different hops though. I used azacca and jarrylo since I had them on hand.
I also used hothead ale yeast from omega. I like it

View attachment 1446348020011.jpg

Knocked out a Pliny clone yesterday. Hit the mash temps and pH dead-on - even with 4 ozs of Cascade mash hops. Didn't really think how mash-hops would affect pH.

Gravities were within tolerance too. Ended up with exactly 12g in the fermenter. That's maybe 1/2g shy since I'm bound to lose some vol with more than 8ozs of dry hopping coming up. Last year I double dry hopped per Vinny's original recipe. I also worked out a rig for CO2 hops rousing during the dry hop.

Pitched 500ml of 1056 slurry from previous batch. Good activity in the blowoff bucket this morning. I'm really excited about this beer. It's a busy beer to brew, but it was really fantastic last year.

Bottled 8 gal of Honey Hefeweizen Friday evening, till I ran out of bottles.
Got up early Saturday and brewed 13 gal of Belgian Wit with Orange zest and coriander.

I'm planning on brewing my first Munich Helles. I have only done a couple of lagers--Czech pils and Vienna. Any opinions on whether I should do a multi step mash or just a single infusion? Basically, with modern malts is the multi step really worth it? I'm using Best Malz pilsner for the base malt.

Decoction mash for a helles.

Brewed an IIPA and the clamps on my immersion chiller failed, dumping unsanitary water in the wort and diluting it. The lawn was very hoppy to be watered. An afternoon and 35$ of hops wasted, along with the huge starter of 1968 I had made for it, since I won't be able to brew for like a month...

:( :mad:

At least I kegged my pale ale this morning and from the small sample I had of it, it will be pretty good.

Brewing a tripel right now, but it looks like I missed my target og based on the pre boil sample. Going to sample at 15 minutes left in the boil and decide if I need to add DME (never had to yet, but desperate times).

5 gallons of 1.060 porter in the fermenter with a decanted starter of Wyeast 1728. My 3rd brew, second on my own equipment. All went well other than an immediately clogged funnel filter during transfer. In the end I ditched the filter and will just let everything settle out. It's going to sit a long time anyway.

Planned on 13.5L of long-boil barleywine. Efficiency was so high and the boil was taking so long that I flamed out at 18L and just a smidge below my intended OG. We'll find out how it is around this time next year. (Yeah right! I'm totally gonna cheat and drink some whenever it's finished bottle-conditioning!)

Back