how to store an unused yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgez

Reaction score
the other day I posted the common noob question of, why is my beer not fermenting after 48 hours, i was freaking out. After being told to chill the f--- out, and if after 3 days I did not see active fermentation to pitch more yeast. So at the end of 48 hours of no activity (or I guess I should say low activity, gravity dropped 3 points in 48 hours) I bought a vile of WLP800 and made a starter anticipating that I would be pitching it at the 72 hour mark. Well wouldn't you know it, I come home from work to find about an inch of head on my beer, I can see the yeast swirling around, not alot of action in the blow off tube yet, but there is life. So now I have a quart starter that I will not need. Since I am making a pilsner and it will lager for a couple of months, how can I store the starter so in a few months from now when I make another pilsner, I can repitch the yeast in the starter?

You can let it ferment out completely, then chill it. I like to decant the spent wort after a day or so, when the yeast is completely at the bottom and only clear beer is at the top. Then, store in the fridge until you need it. A few days before, make a starter, and it'll be fine. I store most of my yeast in Grolsch bottles in the door of my kegerator, and it works out fine.

Back