Help! Brewing now, Not enough yeast question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I am brewing Orfy's Mild Brown today and only have one packet of Safale-05 for a 10 gallon batch. I just blew my reddish amber keg which used Nottingham and there is a nice little bit of love in the bottom of the keg. Can I use that yeast to make up for the lack of S-05? They are different, though similar and I am just trying to make a mild with low alcohol. If not then I will wait till tomorrow morning and pick up some more yeast and just pitch tomorrow.

Nothing wrong with mixing different strains of yeast, people do it all the time to get different flavors. Not much of a difference between Nottingham and S-05, though, so I would go for it.

Well the day has now ended and I used both what I had in the bottom of the keg and the packet of US-05. It is slightly perking already and I think though that I will pick up another packet tomorrow to add to this, can't hurt.

If it's moving already I don't think I'd bother. It's my understanding that fermentation generally doesn't start until your yeast population is at the level needed - if that's true and it's started fermenting already then you already have enough.

OG of 1.039 and it is perking this morning happily. I am thinking that even with a lower yeast colony, since this is a small beer, it will most likely ferment out. I just wasn't sure at the beginning of the brew session if I would be able to use the yeast or if I would have to pick up some more today to pitch.

If it dies out I will add more.

Latest posts

Back